Swivel bearing preload

Hi there.

Been changing the swivel bearings on my 1987 90 over the weekend but wondering what preload to use. I have the early axle (used to have drum rear axle) so don't have the roller bearings at the top (is it Railko bush?), just a large metal dish the pin then sits into.

Anyway I looked in my 1997MY LR workshop manual (the only 1 I managed to obtain!) and that says 1.1 to 1.5kg. I looked in Haynes which also shows the earlier bearing design I have, and that says 3.5 to 4.5kg.

I have set 1 side at 4kg I think but once I then fitted seals and CV back in etc, it seems very hard to turn so I am not convinced.

Can anyone confirm what I should have for my early axle (if it makes a difference) so I can adjust before build fully up and also ensure I only do the other side once!

Thanks in advance for the info and also thanks to Les for his write up in tech archive which I kept the hand during the work.

Cheers

Straight from my LR manual:

"The resistance, once the initial inertia has

been overcome, should be 3.60 to 4.30 Kg (8 to

10 Ibs). If necessary, adjust by removing or adding

shims to the top swivel pin as required."

Jon

Assuming that there is no problem with the CV then there should be no problem Dan. You set the pre-load without the seal in place as it gives a variable amount of damping to the swivel. Once it is back in you are dragging the rubber over the metal - unless you greased it first - so it will be tighter. Once it is all together it will be fine. :) I am assuming that the figures you have are correct...

Chris

Just checked a genuine manual (1984-1990) and it states 3.6-4.5KG's (8-10lb's) however the 1997 edition states 1.16-1.46KG, obviously both of these are without the seal in place and the figure is after initial resistance has been overcome.

I replaced my swivels at the end of last year, setting them correctly is a doddle and it really helps with the ride & handling.

I was taught by knowledgeable mate on this to NOT fit the seals, and get a unit that will read 12lb

This via a fishing spring assembly from a fishing shop

When you have 12lbs pull before it moves (no track rod arms connected just the housing fishing spring in where the track rod goes, then job done fit seal and finish

Its stood me well since he showed me :)

Nige