Ticking noise...

There's a noise coming from the near side front of my 3.5L V8 on Carbs, it's hard to tell where the noise is coming from as it seems to sound worse at some times than others. It sounds like it's around the exhaust manifold/rocker cover edge, if not the part with the tube coming from the air filter with the hose clip around it in this pic: Picture (Ignore red outlined wire, the pic is an old one but saves me taking a new one as it shows the item I'm talking about, on the left hand side of the picture). The noise is a face paced ticking/clicking, a bit like a bearing or something breaking up.

I don't know a lot about engines, but I know a ticking noise is not good. The noise first became apparent after it was revved very hard on Saturday.

Oh well... if it's the engine about to die, in goes a 4.6L with an auto I think.... :unsure:

I know this is a completely different engine, but in my old 2.5 petrol i had a ticking which sounded tappety which i thought was the tappets had them adjusted. Turned out the exhaust manifold had worked loose and needed tightening and the manifold gasket replacing.

Jon

My V8 ticked loudly when i acquired it, and was worse under load, it cost about 35 quid to fix.........just wanted a new manifold. Check that part of the exhause hasnt rusted through.

Now just does "the V8 roar"!

There - I think I have given out my first piece of technical advice. Next thing you know I will be a grease monkey!!

:P :P :P :P

It does sound like it is around the manifold area, I think it's probably the gasket. The exhaust always seems to find a weak spot when under load, it's almost all been replaced in the last year and I don't consider myself to be thrashing it. Just topped it up with oil and going to give it a run, thanks for the replies so far.

I'm going to replace the front pipes. I've got new gaskets ordered, is there anything I can be doing to make the job easier when I come to do it? The bolts holding the exhaust on look rusty, so I think lubricating them now will help, is there anything else that usually goes wrong or makes the job longer?

It turns out a new manifold is quite expensive. £300 from LR for just the near side one. My plan is to replace the gaskets and see if that cures the problem. I'll be able to see if the manifold is infact rusted through too, so I can tell if the ticking is this or the tappets, or something else.

Has anyone got any advice to someone not very experienced in anything mechanical who wants to do the job themselves? I am trying to learn.

I know there are two bolts on each part of the manifold, I've put WD40 on them so they hopefully won't be seazed. Is there anything else I can do to prepare to remove the manifold to replace the gaskets? Does the whole lot have to come off, or is undoing them at the engine going to give me enough play to move them away from it? Is there anything I should be putting on the gaskets/threads etc for when it goes back on? Is there anything I should be careful of doing?

I know it's like trying to explain it to a 5 year old but please have patience.