TD5 emmobilizer

Hi, I live in Canada and bought a wrecked 1999 Defender 130 TD5 that was brought over from France. I have got a key made for it but am now having problems with the emmobilizer. Any ideas?

You may do better if this is moved into the Defender forum... Do you have the key-fob with the two rubber buttons on? The immobiliser disarmament is in there.

Chris

You need either the correct key fob, or to have the vehicle plugged into a Testbook and set to be a "non alarm spec" vehicle - all Td5s have the 10AS alarm ECU just that the ones with "no alarm" it is just set to be dormant but this is a computer job I am afraid, and if you change the engine ECU or the alarm ECU then they still need to be re-synchronised.

probably the best thing you can do is buy a 220UKp Nanocom unit. It will give you diagnostics and you can disable the 10AS alarm unit or if you buy some fobs program them to it.

Cheers

Steve

Any advise on who to buy a Nanocom from? Or fobs?

• 1 month later...

Another question relating to 1999 Td5 and immobilisers.

I did not own this Defender from new and hence do not know what the original spec was. Also, I have never actively used the immobiliser and hence did not think it existed until I open up the driver's seat box yesterday and found a Shurlok EP100 unit.

The unit is not fixed down so I assumed it was aftermarket but the wiring looks very good and hence perhaps it is original.

I have a key fob for the central locking which also has a third button but it is grey and sort of triangular rather then a nice green LR fob.

The control unit alos has long twin core cable attached to it leading to some kind of sensor that has not been installed but is also floating around the seat box.

Any clues if this is LR or aftermarket and what the sensor is ?

Also, if LR have a habit of installing electrics but not activating them would it make sence that I have an ABS control box behind the dash but no ABS hubs ?

This is a basic van spec Defender rather than a polished school run number.

Mnayt thanks

TB

Quite certain it is an aftermarket add-on, never mentioned in LR technical literature and never heard of, either!

As to the "ABS" box behind the dash, if it's green it's just the original LR alarm ECU, and the "ABS" just means that it is made of ABS plastic (those recycling regulations, you know...).

The ABS ECU, if fitted, sits next to the engine ECU, under RH front seat, and is a black box with 3 connectors.

Silvio & BogMonster, thank you for your help, it does indeed seem to be aftermarket.

My challenge now is getting it working again. It looks fully installed and I have a radio fob but I think it also has a special contact key that I do not have. Strange that I can get the car to start but I will not complain about that.

TB

probably the best thing you can do is buy a 220UKp Nanocom unit. It will give you diagnostics and you can disable the 10AS alarm unit or if you buy some fobs program them to it.

Cheers

Steve

Steve, any suggestions on how to reprogram fobs with Nanocom ? I have one but did not think it would reprogram fobs?

There is a bit in the LR Workshop manual about fob programming, but it seems to be new fobs and not old ones !

Steve, any suggestions on how to reprogram fobs with Nanocom ? I have one but did not think it would reprogram fobs?

There is a bit in the LR Workshop manual about fob programming, but it seems to be new fobs and not old ones !

It's called the Plip Learn Function in nanocom in the Defender Alarm menu under utilities. You activate it, pressing '1' IIRC on unit or start on s/w and then press the buttons on the remotes you want it to sync with and then the horn sounds. Then you press stop button on nanocom or s/w and it's done.

Cheers

Steve