Rear axle breather

Ryan

I've just been thinking about the new breathers I'm going to be fitting to my Discovery. Actually, I've been thinking since January when I purchased all of the parts to do the job, but hey ho :).

Regarding the rear axle breather, is there anything stopping me from running it up into the rear load area up through the hole the electrics use, rather than scrambling around trying to route it to the engine bay? Or am I likely to get the lovely aroma of gear oil wafting around the cabin?

Good idea to extend both front & rear breathers if you intend to go into deepish water but they should be vented to the fresh air unless u love the smell of EP90 but u shouldn't get any smell they are there to allow any condensation in the diff to evap..

Thanks Teabag,

Don't worry, I was going to do the front axle and sort out the gearbox, transfer box, and timing case. It was just a thought - I just didn't know if the smell of EP90 would come into the cabin. EP90 has such a unique aroma, a bit like silage (it's a nice reminder that you're in the countryside, but you wouldn't what to smell it all of the time!).

I routed mine along the front to rear brake pipe that runs under the passenger floor, very simple to do, can then be routed up the passenger inner wing and onto the snorkel.

I did similar but P clipped it to the top edge of the chassis rail, up bulkhead in engine bay and out to snorkel.

It's only plastic washer jet pipe and hasn't melted or got cut or anything in.....well.......erm.......ever. :)

HTH

Thanks guys for giving me food for thought. No decision made as yet. If I remember, I'll give an update when I finally get around to getting my @rse in gear and sorting it out. Hopefully, I'll get something sorted this week.

I actually surprised myself this afternoon and actually got on with some work. I decided against routing the tubing up inside the rear compartment - couldn't be bothered to take the trim off from the inside, which would also mean removing all of the accumulated carp that I carry around. So the rear one was routed along the chassis to join it's bretherin from the front axle and the gearbox/transfer box.

Pictures will follow later today on my Discovery thread (clicky linky in my sig)