Oil Pressure switch

What year/engine is it? I've got the big book of oil pressure switches here...

not sure donor engine in when i bought the vehicle 200 tdi disco think(dont quote me on that) turbo mounted on top next to rocker cover.

According to the CI book that's neither of the stock TDi ones (being M10x1 and M16x1.5 respectively) although that seems a little strange to me, I was sure they were something like 1/8" BSP too. That picture certainly looks like it.

Erm, Mike...

Not quite, try to put a male 1/8NPT into a female 1/8BSP. ;):) But that's about the only size I know that can't be bodged together.

Another difference between the two standards is that BSP threads are 55 degrees while BSP is 60. (Or is it the other way?) But a little PTFE tape usually takes care of that little problem. B)

Since FF posted while I was writing - M10x1,0 is very similar to 1/8NPT. So similar that I have used a metric tap to join a certain American product many times. For the oil pressure sender on my 200Tdi I used an adapter with NPT threads bought at the local boy racer shop.

not sure donor engine in when i bought the vehicle 200 tdi disco think(dont quote me on that) turbo mounted on top next to rocker cover.

that's a Defender 200Tdi you describe or a 2.5TD engine,

this modified parts page might help, fitted to my Defender type 200Tdi. the photo is taken from under the vehicle looking up & forward

oil_pressure_gauge__trnamitter_fittings.pdf

post-20-1207682138_thumb.jpg

Erm, Mike...

Not quite, try to put a male 1/8NPT into a female 1/8BSP. ;):) But that's about the only size I know that can't be bodged together.

Yest I've tried that........... The NPT went into the BSP no problem but wouldn't tighten enough for what I wanted....

But the job I needed that for I didn't want a tapered thread. I needed a nut and bolt fitting.

In the end I ran a BSP tap down the NPT and it worked. No it wasn't a fluid or air connectort so no problem.

Old man Whitworth must be turning in his grave with all these different thread sizes. Nearly as many as each different village blacksmith in his day.

mike

I don't want to argue with you in public, so I just leave it. :)

To be picky, I assume that the sender might be NPS as in straight.

Maybe we should be grateful that Land Rover didn't use English Bicycle Threads or Sewing Machine Threads. :rolleyes:

We don't know, but we still manage to get things working... ;)

The sender for my Disco 200Tdi engine looks exactly like the one for the previous 2,5 n/a. And as said before, the adapter I used is a 1/8NPS. Listed by the seller as NPT, but since the thread isnt conical, it's NPS.

For anyone interested: http://www.gewinde-normen.de/en/index.html