200tdi temperature troubles

After a new thermostat, new temp sender with no change, I dug into my skinny wallet and purchased a new radiator.

A couple of weeks later, my defender still runs hot, just under the red on the gauge.

Checked top hose, hot but touchable without burning my hand, bottom hose is cold.

Heater works fine and both hoses are hot, no airlock?

Does all this tell me that my gauge is reading incorrectly or is it too hot?

Can someone enlighten me please.

I'm baffled

I had the same problem on mine a couple of months ago. In the end Turbocharger lent me a hand held point and tell thermometer. That showed all temperatures in the correct zone. I replaced my temp gauge with a graduated one and the problem was sorted.

(Mine was a 200tdi 110)

Frankly I wouldn't trust a Land Rover temperature gauge to tell me anything.

It is not accurate.

It reads between 80 and 100 degrees in the normal position.

Go and buy a proper 270 degree faced gauge. either a capillary one or an electronic one.

Then you know what the engine temperature is.

My ten bobs worth.

mike

Cured it!! I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself!. Cut of the stupid little ball bearing valve thingy from the thermostat, re-installed it, went hammering up the ring road, (at speed limit ^_^ ), temperature stayed at normal! Brilliant, this also meant the oil light no longer flickers due to extra thin oil. (very old post about it somewhere). Months of trouble gone with the snip of one little ball!! (don't give the missus ideas mind :lol::o )

Thanks to Jimmy Neutron for adding his previous topic and I think Fridge with the answer hidden in it!

Now to the next problem.................

Cured it!! I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself!. Cut of the stupid little ball bearing valve thingy from the thermostat, re-installed it, went hammering up the ring road, (at speed limit ^_^ ), temperature stayed at normal! Brilliant, this also meant the oil light no longer flickers due to extra thin oil. (very old post about it somewhere). Months of trouble gone with the snip of one little ball!! (don't give the missus ideas mind :lol::o )

Thanks to Jimmy Neutron for adding his previous topic and I think Fridge with the answer hidden in it!

Now to the next problem.................

No worries .. pleased it worked.

The stat sold in halfrauds doesn't even have a ball un stick or a ball un brass crimpy thing. Just nothing at all. So if anyone buys one of these make sure to drill a tiny hole in the right place.