#kin computer (again)

BogMonster

I've been having huge problems with the computer at home giving "page not found" errors in Internet Explorer, and also not loading graphics (half the forum buttons coming up as red 'x's and photos doing the same). Usually if I right click on the red X and do "show picture", or reload the page (sometimes takes 3 or 4 goes) then it will load. This is now happening probably 50% of the links I click and if you load a page of photos you end up with more red crosses than you'd see on an Argie ammunition dump :angry:

Just wondering if anybody could suggest possible solutions that might cure this without reinstalling Windows XP again which I really don't want to do as it is a complete PITA :unsure: though as the computer is about 2 years old now I guess it's probably time for the periodic "colossal system crash which requires everything to be reinstalled from scratch" :unsure: it's started taking a long time doing things like shutting down as well, which used to be very quick

I've already done the obvious things like clearing out the cache/history/cookies etc - I do have (somewhere) an installation CD for Outlook Express 6 and Internet Explorer 6, from before I had XP, would it be safe to install that over the top of the original or would that b*gger everything up, probably being an older version? Would it be IE, or something in the dialing software built into Windows?

I'm still using XP SP1 (SP2 is too big/expensive to download on dialup at 6p a minute) so if I can blag a copy of SP2 (I mean pay for one at full retail price from a reputable supplier, honest guv :P ) I suppose biting the bullet would have other benefits...

I hate computers! :angry:

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received

Thanks

Stephen

I just increased my RAM from 256 to 768 and the booting up, downloading pics, etc etc is much quicker. Worth the £20-odd quid for the additional card. You really do need to install SP2 Stephen. XP is a good operating system, so unless you got a bug I doubt it would be that. The usual suspects such as firewall etcare what normally causes the biggest problem.

When I was in PCWorld I picked up a freebie disc that is

Install Windows Service pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies from the enclosed CD.

Help guard your privacy with Windows Firewall.

Reduce unwanted ads and content with a built-in Pop-up-Blocker.

Monitor your security status with the Windows Security Centre.

I take you have this same disc Ralph?

If not I can blu-tac this disc to the botty of the next seagull heading your way Stephen!

Les. :)

Edited by Les Henson

Yep, got the genuine cd straight from Microsoft when SP2 was generally released, there was a link on the update page to register for a copy to be sent by post, I believe SP2 can only be downloaded from the update pages now, but if someone you know has the cd then it says in the little folder 'share this cd with a friend or family member' so I.ve offered it to Steve as above :D

guess he's out playing in the bogs :o again :rolleyes::unsure:

Western ... been polishing the shiny one this morning, off to the bogs shortly as its far too sunny an afternoon to be stuck indoors :)

Stephen - Get back to your post immediately there is no finer challenge than trying fix computer problems, how on earth you think that is worse than driving amongst beautiful terrain on a sunny day is beyond me....

Any way when you do come back I presume you have checked all you system for spyware and adware. There are some good free programs out there that will route oute and remove such cr@p, they are notorious for slowing a good PC down.

I also came across a neat littel package this morning

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

It downloaded in a second (literally) on my 1MB BB connection so I can't imagaine it would be too painful/expensive for you on your steam powered dial up set-up ;)

This neat litte program allows you to clean out all the temp files, imternet cache, etc etc but best of all 'redundant' registry entries. I used it this morning on my PC and it is either my imagination or wishful thinking but I am sure my PC is running quicker since.... Oh (and I know this would take a while to download but I use Firefox now too for my browsing. The latest version is much more stable than the previous versions I had tried. It just seems to have the edge on IE IMHO in terms of speed, stability.

Just my 2 cents worth..........

I think I can probably get hold of a copy here thanks, but if I can't, I'll shout

Western ... been polishing the shiny one this morning, off to the bogs shortly as its far too sunny an afternoon to be stuck indoors :)

OK, it's a standby to be posted if required :D

It can be as simple as using a pop-up blocker, but I agree, its probably your browser - IE6, try using firefox - can be downloaded from their main site, free http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

It will certainly save all the agro updating to SP2 which will most likely will give you the blue screen of death after the hour or so it takes!

Go get critical updates from Windows and then a better firewall like Zone Alarm (free), use Microsoft's Beta Antispyware (free), and then scan peroidically with Spybot and Lavasoft's Adaware (both free).

I've been having huge problems with the computer at home giving "page not found" errors in Internet Explorer, and also not loading graphics (half the forum buttons coming up as red 'x's and photos doing the same). Usually if I right click on the red X and do "show picture", or reload the page (sometimes takes 3 or 4 goes) then it will load. This is now happening probably 50% of the links I click and if you load a page of photos you end up with more red crosses than you'd see on an Argie ammunition dump :angry:

Just wondering if anybody could suggest possible solutions that might cure this without reinstalling Windows XP again which I really don't want to do as it is a complete PITA :unsure: though as the computer is about 2 years old now I guess it's probably time for the periodic "colossal system crash which requires everything to be reinstalled from scratch" :unsure: it's started taking a long time doing things like shutting down as well, which used to be very quick

I hate computers! :angry:

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen,

Have you tried the less obvious of defraging the disk ?

Start - program - accesories - system tools - disk defragmenter.

My laptop takes ages to boot up ages if I don't defrag at least once a month.

Is only a suggestion. BTW this may takes ages the first time, so leave it run and go for a drive !

Also disk cleanup will clear out any unwanted old files - like old temp files, found here:

start - program - accesories - system tools - disk cleanup.

If really stuck, suggest doing a search on something like an XP support forum off of google foums.

BTW I don't use XP SP2, got the disks (free from mate at work), still on SP1.

But do use Mozilla Firefox, with the NoScript add-on from the Mozilla website - to block popups.

I don't use the Microsoft email solution, as too many scary stories of Viruses, so use Googles email solution called GMAIL. Send me a PM and will send you an invite for it, if you like.

XP has a built in backup faclity (assuming you have not switched it off/ switch it on) so if you install any software over the top of it, you -should- be able to reverse back to the previous state before starting. Wish I can do this when working on my 90 :rolleyes:

Another thing, on your desktop, try to keep the amount of documents/files to a minimum, you can get away with putting most of your shortcuts into a folder called 'shortcuts' on the desktop - as this can cause the PC to slow down startup and shutdown too.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Stephen,

Have you tried the less obvious of defraging the disk ?

Start - program - accesories - system tools - disk defragmenter.

My laptop takes ages to boot up ages if I don't defrag at least once a month.

Is only a suggestion. BTW this may takes ages the first time, so leave it run and go for a drive !

Also disk cleanup will clear out any unwanted old files - like old temp files, found here:

start - program - accesories - system tools - disk cleanup.

If really stuck, suggest doing a search on something like an XP support forum off of google foums.

BTW I don't use XP SP2, got the disks (free from mate at work), still on SP1.

But do use Mozilla Firefox, with the NoScript add-on from the Mozilla website - to block popups.

I don't use the Microsoft email solution, as too many scary stories of Viruses, so use Googles email solution called GMAIL. Send me a PM and will send you an invite for it, if you like.

XP has a built in backup faclity (assuming you have not switched it off/ switch it on) so if you install any software over the top of it, you -should- be able to reverse back to the previous state before starting. Wish I can do this when working on my 90 :rolleyes:

Another thing, on your desktop, try to keep the amount of documents/files to a minimum, you can get away with putting most of your shortcuts into a folder called 'shortcuts' on the desktop - as this can cause the PC to slow down startup and shutdown too.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Thanks - I'll try the defrag. I already have a tidy desktop - but its not the general speed of the thing that is the problem (the shutting down delay is a minor irritation - I just push the button and walk away!) its the graphics all disappearing in IE and the page not found errors. Tried reinstalling IE6, no change. It's definitely a problem specific to that computer as the one I am on at the moment (at work - and it's before turn-to time before anybody chips in :P ) is fine - no problem at all. And that is still running SP1. I can't do a "system restore" as the problem doesn't seem linked with anything in particular, it's been there for a while and just getting gradually worse over the last two or three weeks. Hence my thought that I am just heading for one of those "Windows is about to Sh^t itself and need reinstalling" moments we all know and love :blink:

glad I bought that 40GB USB hard drive from PC World last time I was over, at least the backups are nice and easy now :)

cheers

Stephen