Side exit exhaust on a 90

I'm finally gonna fit a rear fuel tank on my 200tdi 90.

So i need to fettle the exhaust. Decided on a side exit jobbie but need to work out how to do it.

Really like this http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page10.html but its £220 + postage and still needs to be welded up so seems a bit much.

Quite like this http://www.devon4x4.com/component/option,c...showcaticons,no

just as the finisher bit.

Local exhaust place also wants £220+VAT to do the job.

Just thinking there must be a much cheaper way that someones done.

You can either pop to a few local exhaust places and see what they've got in the scrap bin, or buy all of the custom parts from somewhere like Jetex and make it up as you go along.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. If you use s/h bits from the skip, you will be limited by what you can find in the right diameter.

Previously I made an altered tailpipe for the Range Rover using bits from the skip, a load of fire/exhaust putty and some exhaust clamps.

You can either pop to a few local exhaust places and see what they've got in the scrap bin, or buy all of the custom parts from somewhere like Jetex and make it up as you go along.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it. If you use s/h bits from the skip, you will be limited by what you can find in the right diameter.

Previously I made an altered tailpipe for the Range Rover using bits from the skip, a load of fire/exhaust putty and some exhaust clamps.

Jetex looks quite good, but how do you work out what silencers do what and what size to use ?

I don't want to be over restricted but then again i don't want too much noise.

Hi mate,

I've just fineshed fabricating and putting one on my 90. Love it B) , sounds loads better and was pritty cheap to do.

Think i spent 90 quid on the parts from Jetex, and in the end best part of a day in the workshop. I'll send you some pics if you'd like? I'm not running mine with a silencer atm (200tdi) as I like the 'growl' it gives it (+ it isnt actually that loud!) but i have left provision to put a small one in, should the MOT require it. :D

im kinda new to this landrover stuff recently brought a 90 25td as a toy and i have also just made and fitted my own side exit system removing all the boxes and it sounds fine not to loud atall, you can hear the turbo whistle but other than that it sounds cool.

Hi mate,

I've just fineshed fabricating and putting one on my 90. Love it B) , sounds loads better and was pritty cheap to do.

Think i spent 90 quid on the parts from Jetex, and in the end best part of a day in the workshop. I'll send you some pics if you'd like? I'm not running mine with a silencer atm (200tdi) as I like the 'growl' it gives it (+ it isnt actually that loud!) but i have left provision to put a small one in, should the MOT require it. :D

Yeah pics and parts list used would be great if you don't mind.

Hi mate,

Post the pics up ! I'd like to see them :)

Mo

I put a rear tank in my 90 a couple of years ago. For the exhuast I just cut a hole, about 3", in the body behind the drivers door and 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the pannel then took it to a local exhuast shop and said "make it come out there"... it now comes out there and is a bit loud but my plan to quiet it down is to swap the 2.5na diesel for a 200TDI that I'm rebuilding. The turbo should cut down on the noise which is not too bad now but is a bit much on day long drives.

I put a rear tank in my 90 a couple of years ago. For the exhuast I just cut a hole, about 3", in the body behind the drivers door and 2 or 3 inches above the bottom of the pannel then took it to a local exhuast shop and said "make it come out there"... it now comes out there and is a bit loud but my plan to quiet it down is to swap the 2.5na diesel for a 200TDI that I'm rebuilding. The turbo should cut down on the noise which is not too bad now but is a bit much on day long drives.

Thats exactly what i'm doing except i already got the 200tdi bit. Any chance of some pis of the tank mountings (presuming you used a TD5 tank) and exhaust pics.

Photos of how I did my side exit as requested: :)

Bought the parts from Jetex and werent too expensive,

1 x Galvanised steel ½m flexible pipe with swaged 2½ inch end (U056350)

1 x Aluminised steel Double end sleeve L=150mm (U066320)

1 x Aluminised steel Stepped sleeve 50.8-57-63.5mmØ (U076320)

1 x Mild steel 1m pipe with swaged 2½ inch end (U016300)

1 x Mild steel ½m pipe with swaged 2½ inch end (U016350)

2 x Mild steel 90 degree welding bend - ideal for short sharp bends.

Each bend is constructed using 2 halves welded together.. Centre Radius

= 60mm. (U036390)

Alltogether including postage and VAT ect. it came to £90, i had some exhuast clamps kiking around so used those up hence not buying any from Jetex.

You can see in pic 4 that i've left a bit of pipe that I can remove by undoing the clamps and unbolting the mount in order to replace it with a small silencer if needs be. It really isnt that loud though, i'm running it on a 1986 90 200tdi convert with steve parker down pipe. I used the stepped sleve to take the bore from the orginal 2 1/4 inch to 2 1/2 inch (namely because Jetex dont supply 2 1/4inch pipe work!)

Hope thats of help to you anyway! It did require alot of patience with tac welding and bolting and unbolting but well worth the effort :D

Ps. The orange sealant round the joints is incase my welding isnt quite that great :lol:

post-6322-1208435582_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1208435611_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1208435645.jpg

post-6322-1208435654_thumb.jpg

post-6322-1208435664_thumb.jpg

Guest l90truck

have a look at power flow they made mine for my v8 90 and did a top class job they have centers all over the place so give it a google