Shockers

JohnTC

Hi another new boy. I've just bought a series 2a 88" as a bit of a chance buy, as I've wanted one for a while and never quite got around to it. It started life as diesel in Jan 65, and now has a series 3 petrol engine. As an aside can anybody give me an age on the gearbox 25116738a as my delving seem to have it as pre-dating the vehicle. It needs a complete rebuild which I'm happy to do, chassis shot etc, plus my eldest lad is a panel beater and really keen to help. My question is regarding shock absorbers. The leaf springs appear 'tired' so I will probably change them for parabolics in which case will standard series shockers do the job or do I need a different spec? If so what would you suggest. The vehicle will be used mostly locally on road and probably for a bit of green laning but nothing too serious (providing I can keep said son under control!!) Thanks in advance.

can anybody give me an age on the gearbox 25116738a as my delving seem to have it as pre-dating the vehicle

IIRC an A-suffix box is very early.......actually not too much of a leap of logic :) .....should date from the very early 60s.

I wouldn't worry, all Series 2 boxes are interchangeable. You will be able to get a replacement for anything between £50 - £100 depending on condition and 'completeness'...all the levers, handbrake etc.

HTH

On this side of the pond, pro-comps are considered to be bottom of the barrel for landy use. Followed closely by monroe, higher up the ladder would be rancho, then the most used, which over here are OME, followed by Bilsteins. Top of the rack, but not needed for your use would be fox or king. But they're mainly used for bling factor or competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Again thanks for the info. As a new boy to owning a landrover, Her Majesty sponsored all of my previous steeds, it's good to get a steer from those in the know, and a lot cheaper coz I won't make as many mistakes!!! Thanks again. JTC