Defender front pipe

Igol

I've just added a defender exhaust down pipe to my disco and new rear set of disco ones as mentioned in the technical archive on here.

Obviously I've saved more than a few quid not having to buy a cat or a pipe with the flexy bit in.

The thread was spot on it made such a difference being able to just use the right spanner or socket first time without fishing around for the right size one in the tool box.

I do have one problem with the thread and a tip for anyone else planning to do this mod.

Why didnt it mention just once to jack the body up?

My arms are in bits and my hands in ribbons. I spent hours jiggling the pipes banging into the cross members, jacking the bus up, changing the axel stand up to the next hole.

Then the eureka moment when I realised that the body needed to go up to give me the clearance to turn that sodding pipe through 90.

Right the EGR is comming off next, anything blindingly obvious I need to know?

;-)

Disco/Defender downpipe change, to remove the catalyst by Raceface120

It was spot on apart from that little bit of info. Then again I'm going to have to replace my dampers with some gas shocks soon, but I'll see how the dreaded MOT goes first :(

Thanks for the EGR warning, the pipe to manifold nuts came off far too easily so theres bound to be pay back elsewhere :)

Which thread did you have a problem with?

EGR - the 2xsocket head bolts are fused to mother earth and you need some magic spells to get them undone :)

Les.

Agreed, they are very tight normally

Which thread did you have a problem with?

EGR - the 2xsocket head bolts are fused to mother earth and you need some magic spells to get them undone :)

Les.

The Tdi ones come out easily sometimes, but the little TD5 ones are a menace. :angry:

The Tdi ones come out easily sometimes, but the little TD5 ones are a menace. :angry:

Knuckles remain intact and blanking plate in place. :)

Ratface120, well now you tell us, lmao.

I'll know for next time and at least I can pass on my little hint to others on here. Great thread though, the old bus seems to pick up a little faster and the turbo whistle is pretty evident now too.

:)

Just to be picky in the original thread in the International Forum, that the tech-archive thread was taken from, I did mention I had a lift although at the time it was only a 1" lift, however this is editted out from the tech thread.

Pete.

Oh and it's Raceface120 not Ratface120. but I shan't take offence. ;):P .

I found that the front pipe swap made a reasonable difference, certainly worth doing...

As for EGR, i didn't find the bolts were that tight, spray them with WD40 before trying to undo them... if you spray them while the manifold is still warm (Not hot) it might help...