200 TDi

Hey,

Doing 50 on the motorway and a rattling noise starts to come from under the bonnet. Gets louder and louder for about 30 seconds and then the engine dies. Lots of steam and oil. Try to turn the engine over with a socket- frozen solid. Got recovered and back home but any ideas?

Perhaps a big end? Any suggestions as to what to do? What it might be?

Pete

Sounds like something has seized in the engine. The only way that you'll find out what has gone wrong is to strip it. I'm sure Uncle Les will be along presently to give some pointers.

Hard luck but most things can be fixed :)

Mo

:blink: I must admit headings like "Dead" can be a little bit scary.. :o It surely raises our eyebrows!!! :P Maybe a milder heading like " Engine Caput" can calm some of us with heart attacks :rolleyes:

Now that we have Uncle Les on the line I guess all will be well.. Good luck!!

Well Pete.

My first job would be to get the vehicle home..... :blink: You have I see.

Then check the water and oil.

Next the head off.

That will tell you the state of the pistons and valves and the head it'self.

Then the oil drained, watching for any bits that come out. Now the sump off and take it from there.

No it's not kaput. It is dead.......

HTH

mike

I would say that piston siezure is more common and with the head off you will be able to tell if this is the problem. The bores will be streaked and there may be fragments of alloy on the bores where it has 'picked-up', a bit like this (ignore the rust, although the bores will quickly start to rust if water is in there)-

post-2-1208764806_thumb.jpg

A partially melted piston or broken rings don't tend to sieze up, but make an awful racket. If you can't tell visually if the pistons are siezed - you should be able to wiggle them sideways in the bore a small amount. Otherwise - drop the sump and big-end caps first. If the shells look like this, then it's normal wear on a high-miler -

post-2-1208765572_thumb.jpg

You'll soon see if the big-ends are worn - you need to worry about damage to the crank, camshaft, oil pump, etc, if it's a lubrication siezure and if this is the case, then a full engine strip and rebuild will be necessary.

Les.