TD5 Electrics Problem

I am just trying to find the answer to this problem that somone has come to me with. The best advice I can think of it to bin the engine and put a real engine in (200tdi) and he wouldnt have this kind of problem in a million years. But please, could somone who knows the TD5 shed some light on this?

This is what he wrote:

I did a very stupid thing and allowed a garage to do a proper pressure wash on the chassis and engine of my vehicle. This, to my regret, has now ensured that water has engrossed into the electrical parts with the result of the vehicle only idling and not able to accelerate when the throttle is pushed down (according to the manual water ingress does this, amongst other things). I am now frantically trying to get to all the plugs and sockets on the vehicle, first to dry them off and secondly to try and water proof if possible. Thus, I am looking for info on the wiring plan / harness layout of the vehicle, in order to get to all the plugs and points. My LR has been standing for 2 days now, and it drives me nuts. I have just returned from a 21 day trip through a wet Namibia, with no problems

Guest diesel_jim

sounds like the throttle position potentiometer.... the bit where your foot is.

try removing the plug and spraying some WD40 into the plug, or even remove the pedal totally and putting it in a warm place for a day or so to dry it out.

Thanks Jim.. I'll pass that on. Is the TD5 the only electric throttled Landrover? Seems like a silly idea to me.

Not at all unusual - Td5, Td4 & L series Freelander, pretty sure the TDV6 and Puma will have cable-less throttle too, though I couldn't swear by that.

The best bet is to plug it into a diagnostic system and read off the faults. Even if he has to buy a Nanocom it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than an engine change :rolleyes:

Thanks Jim.. I'll pass that on. Is the TD5 the only electric throttled Landrover? Seems like a silly idea to me.

I'm amazed you don't have a horse and cart, instead of trusting that new fangled invention of the internal combustion engine :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They can upgrade to a later type 3 track throttle pedal if they want which are more water resistant than the earlier ones. IIRC they'd need something like Nanocom to re program it.

Cheers

Steve