Are vac pumps supposed to suck?

Eightpot

The brakes on my 300 disco have gone awol :( , seems very much as though there is no servo assistance as the peddal is hard with little movement, and a big shove is needed to get anything to happen. Tried the normal checks of starting engine up with pedal depressed - no movement.

First thoughts are the vacuum pump, so I pulled the hose from the front of the servo and started the engine. Am I right to expect there to be some suction if I put my thumb over the end of the pipe??

if you blip the throttle you should feel it suck a bit more, because the pump is running faster....

i'd look at either the servo or master cylinder....

shame you're not a bit nearer, as i've got a spare vac pump i took off mine (was working fine, just leaking a bit of oil through the top cover on the casing) which you could stick on it to rule out Vac pump failure........

yeah, check all the hoses over first... the pumps are a throw away item as they are not supposed to be serviceable...

make sure you get a genuine Wabco replacement.. its a poxy job to fit it as you really want two of you, 1 working from above, and 1 from below...

The pump will 'appear' to be sucking but is'nt sucking enough.....never a good thing :ph34r: , it'll either be the cam plunger worn hollow or internals shot, they are not servicable so a nice replacement will do the job.

Had one just like yours last week ;)

Cheers

Steveb

Can't I just reverse the wiring on my air compressor and attach it to the servo?

What about a camping foot pump set to suck, taped under the brake pedal, when I brake it will automatically create the vacuum - would that work?

How about if I extend the brake pedal with some angle iron and jubilee clips to give more leverage - will that stop me having to spend another hundred quid?