Disconnecting battery prior to welding

streaky

Following on from the other thread about disconnecting the battery during charging.

Why is it advisable to disconnect the battery prior to doing any welding on a car? I also heard that disconecting the alternator is advised. Anyone care to elaborate on this as well please?

Would it make any difference depending on the type of welding..ie, Arc welding, mig, TIG etc?

Thx.

S.

Also be aware that TD5 alarm units (10as) do not like spikes caused by welding even with the battery disconnected.

On more than one occasion we have had to replace units that have been damaged due to welding on the vehicle or at the very least have had to relearn the security settings.

So be careful :ph34r:

Jim

Would it make any difference depending on the type of welding..ie, Arc welding, mig, TIG etc?

You might have to be more careful with Tig if it has a high frequency start (or continuous) mode. I can't imagine anyone would be tigging part of a land rover in AC mode, so that shouldn't be an issue (unless you're fixing a body panel with it still attached - unlikely).

Al.

:)

I once heard of somebody knackering a gearbox because of a poor earth clamp, placed at the opposite end of the vehicle to where the welding was being done the current managed to arc between two gears. Dont know if this is true but came from a Cranfield diploma qualified welding engineer, IE, a reliable source. As the gearbox is always earthed, disconnecting the -ve should eliminate this problem.