Front brake imbalance

Gromit

Evening All,

We been looking at the sisters 110 after it failed the DOE. All the things are done except for the front brake imbalance.

The truck pulls to the right under heavy braking.

So we took it down to the rollers for a brake test and it showed both brakes are working, but there's a difference left and right of about 47%

So what would be causing the imbalance?

My first thought was a sticking left caliper. Could the master cylinder also be at fault and cause the imbalance?

Anything else I might not have though of?

I'd rather diagnose the problem properly (rather than throwing loads of new bits at it unnecessarily) but I'm not sure how <_<

Many thanks, as this is stressing everyone out trying to get the truck's ticket :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Is there a chance that the brake pipe is kinked or been squashed at some point along it's run.

Other than a sticking caliper, that's the only thing I can think of.

I've just been out to have a quick look at her truck in the dark.

Firstly, the M/C only has to pipes, front and back. The front splits at a T piece at the front right shock, to the left and right calipers, so that rules out the M/C

So I guess it must be, as Orange says, a squashed pipe, flexi damaged internally, the T piece blocked or a sticking caliper.

I'll look at the pipes in daylight, but at a cursory glance they seem to be fine.

What'd be the best way to clear/check the pipework internally?

Guest diesel_jim

I was just going to say what Les said.... have you tried bleeding the brakes and see if there's any air in there?

wheel bearings OK?

Thanks a million guys for the quick responses. :i-m_so_happy:

Bled the brakes and didn't find any air. Wheel bearings ok. Will have a look in daylight at all the pipework and see if I can find a sticky piston. Good tip from steve_d

Cheers,

Have you looked at the Brake pad linings, is one set contaminated.

Hose failed and expanding on one side, thats all I can think of that hasn't already been mentioned.

Forgot to mention actually, there's no visible oil contamination on the disk, though I haven't pulled out the pads yet.

Added to the list :)

I would go for sticking pistons on the left hand side, or oil / brake fluid contamination.

Have a look at the thickness of the pad material on the left hand side. It should be the same. If one is noticably thicker that is the sticking piston.

Also have a look at the faces on the disks for rust, grooving etc.