Check straps

TonkaIIa

Hi all,

I have purchased a set of R/Mountain Procomp ES9000 shocks for my IIa (Along with leaf springs), can anyone tell me if the check straps should be fitted.

I've checked out the web-page of RM which states that installing these will prevent the axle dropping down to far to damage the shock when the axle is at maximum articulation.

My intention is not to use this IIa for serious offroading, is it beneficial still to install these if i'm not going to take this pass the maximum length....!

The check straps which were on the chassis have been cut off at some point, which makes me think are these redundant now? Or should I have purchased the ES3000/9000 with the open piston/boot type?

Any suggestion would be must appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Never had any form of a check strap on any of the Series Land Rovers I've owned.

Like FF, I wouldn't worry too much about them, especially since your driving habits don't warrant them.

Todd.

I fitted the full Rocky Mountain kit to my S1 a few months back. I haven't fitted the check straps yet - and I've had no problems.

More worrying, to me anyway, was the way that the shocks ran out of upward travel before the axles hit the bump stops. I ended up lowering the bump stops but was a bit surprised because Rocky Mountain supposedly spent some time developing the kit.

That's worrying, not good for the shocks either. How can they get that bit wrong, do they not own a tape measure? :unsure:

definitely not good. I had a coilover system that did that... ruined it.

I never understood the check straps. don't ALL vehicles rear suspension hang from the shocks at times? Granted a couple other vehicles have check straps... is there something special about the rover?

he said having had brand new straps installed by PO.

I've never had check straps on, and I do a good bit of off-roading (when I get chance) and I've never had any problems.

Did notice though last night that my series is sitting on the bump stops at the moment and the springs are inverted, it's full of broken bricks at the moment ready to go to the tip - Will it be getting damaged leaving it like that?

I do remember, in the dim and distant past, ripping the end clean off a rear shock while running with no check straps. Some people believe that shocks have an internal rebound bump stop. I'd hazard a guess that most shocks don't.

Currently NO suspenders will be fitted.

Been reading a bit of this on various web-pages and found that most people did not fit them on, or if they did overtime they would cut them off :rolleyes:

Would be interesting to see if other makes of shocks come with check straps as part of the kit?