What lift kits are you running?

The Hatt

OME +2" springs and Shocks with 2" spacers and 2" drop shock mounts on the rear, along with Jez's cranked radius arms and some extended bump stops. Front Radius Arms a re std, and I put up with the slight lack of self centering.

This is what it looked like just after I fitted the kit:

gallery_92_355_22683.jpg

It's not a kit, but it works well, and has developed over time. the OME is worth every penny imho...

From you other thread though, your truck is a road going one, rather than a mudplugger, so why are you after lifting it out of curiosity?

;)

Mark

OME +2" springs and Shocks with 2" spacers and 2" drop shock mounts on the rear, along with Jez's cranked radius arms and some extended bump stops. Front Radius Arms a re std, and I put up with the slight lack of self centering.

This is what it looked like just after I fitted the kit:

It's not a kit, but it works well, and has developed over time. the OME is worth every penny imho...

From you other thread though, your truck is a road going one, rather than a mudplugger, so why are you after lifting it out of curiosity?

;)

Mark

Thanks for the info.

Never once said a road going only. Spends lots of time off road, mostly green lanes, in the fields and trialling.

+2" ProComp Springs (but in orange)

+2" ProComp Dampers (also in orange)

+2" WizardBilt Spring Spacers

-2" Scorpion Racing Front Turret

-2" Scorpion Racing Rear Hanger

Scorpion Racing Extended Bump Stops

Scorpion Racing Double Carden Front Prop

Scorpion Racing Extreme Rear Prop

Scorpion Racing Castor Corrected Radius Arms

Scorpion Racing Cranked Trailing Arms (not fitted yet)

Scorpion Racing Adjustable Panhard Rod (not fitted yet)

Full Polybush Kit

Please don't ask me about the costs - it hurts!

NB - tyres are 265/70-17.

100_2133.jpg

100_2134.jpg

100_2138.jpg

Another vote here for Old Man Emu, never regretted it.

As has been said it isn't a kit as such so which springs you fit will depend upon the lift you want and if you have a winch fitted or not.

Cranked radius arms, castor correction and prop shafts are best dealt with after the lift. These requirements seem to vary with vehicle and with what you are willing to 'pu up with' :)

HTH

BearMach +1.5" springs and procomp es 9000 shocks. No other stuff other than polybush anti-roll bar bushes at the rear as I tend to carry some heavy kit at times on forest roads. No winch as yet but when it comes I may well go for a +2" set of springs and keep the shocks but on drop plates as opposed to the standard ones as fitted now.

Hi,

I have a combination on my 300tdi that I chose myself:

Front Springs - Britpart DA4201 200lb

Rear Springs - Britpart DA4203 220lb

+2" ProComp dampers all round

For the full explaination see THIS DIFFLOCK THREAD but to summarise, I found that some kits use springs that are way too heavy duty and are very stiff so give you better rideheight but less articulation. The 220lb rears are 430mm long (free length before fitting) and only just stiffer than standard (207lb/in IIRC). Mine is nice and flexy especially with the rear roll bar removed.

I'd have gone for OME if I'd had more cash, but doing it my way, the springs were about £55 a pair and the dampers were £28 each. That was nearly two years ago mind!

Cheers,

Steve H.

i dont know if this has been said already(sorry if it had i couldnt be botherd to read it all) i am un impressed by the gwyn lewis kit i only have about 60% of it but i dont like any of it! The thing that attracted me to it was the super long dampers at low prices i was also told that they were specifically valved for land rovers which I remain sceptical of! I didn’t buy the kit from Gwyn I bought it from David at llama 4x4 (but same difference as David imports the dampers)

my modifications were not taken into account when I bout everything from him and what with me being a newbie to this stuff then I didn’t know what was what and took his word on things. I don’t like the way it rides and to be honest I wish I had just bought the long OME dampers, a bit more money but built to last and to do the job well, I don’t think I will be getting the performance I want out of the rough country dampers

Later on down the line I am buying some scrap iron dampers, I loath to give them my money but I can’t find a damper with that sort of stroke and build quality that isn’t filthy money, or I may just go to coil overs

My 2 cents anyways

As for the lift kit it’s going to have to be OME or procomp, they are the only companies who make a half decent springs and dampers.

Koni also make good dampers

if you want some supa-doopa all singing all dancing dampers I have some ranchos in my garage that are suitable for +2" they are adjustable from within the cab, i.e. super hard for the road and super soft for off road. pm me if you’re interested

Hi.

I've been reading this thread with some interest and decided I want to get the Disco lifted, mainly because the steering guard and winch have reduced the approach angle somewhat!

I don't have a huge budget, and the car is just a toy, only does a few thousand miles a year, so comfort isn't really an issue. Most of my playing is based around green laning, so nothing too drastic required.

I have two questions if you don't mind me asking...

1) 2" lift kits.

I could replace the springs with +2" and replace the dampers with standard length. My understanding is that this will give me the lift, but decrease the articulation. I assume this is because the dampers' position on the flat will be further down the damper than normal, meaning that as one side compresses, it will be restricted by how much the other side can extend. (I guess I'd have to fit extended bump stops too).

I was looking at this: http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/KITS/Suspe..._Super_Gaz.html

The benefit of this though is that the wheels will never extend beyond how they would have originally, so I won't need to worry about extending brake hoses etc.

Has anyone got this sort of set up. Does the articulation restriction really cause too much of a problem, or am I better of fitting extended dampers, brake hoses, disclocation cones etc?

2) Bolts and stuff.

If I replace the turrets and turret rings on the front, what size are the four bolts holding all that together? Do turrets / turrent ring replacements come with fittings?

I've noticed that some dampers have ring type ends and some have pin type ends. Do the lift kits take this into account and include the right fitting versions? I hope that makes sense. As far as I can see, I need the pin type ones both ends at the front, and the rears have one end as pin, and the other as a ring?

Finally, do most dampers include fitting bolts etc? If not, how do you find out what size are needed?

Hope you don't mind me asking this. I've done all the mods so far myself and I want to see if I can do this too!

Cheers.

hi signia, i got the kit from mm4x4 as i said above, it come with the replacment turret rings and bolts. all the shocks come with new nuts, washers and bushes. the only thing i would say to get is retaining plates, bracket thingies to replace the more than likely rusty ones at the rear.they are just strips of steel with a hole at each end. the bolts are 14mm i believe, they give you the kit for your truck so i wouldn't worry about the shock eyes and pins. i never replaced either my flexi hoses or bump stops so try it without first and see if you need to. :)