Who sells longer than stock suspension springs?

The Hatt

Looking at adding a small lift kit to my Disco 1. But would like to gain some extra droop as well. Not interested in running dislocation cones and would rather stick with spring retainers (believe this is popular in Aus and the US).

I've found the new shock mounts I want to run, and the spring retainers. Also found some nice Rough Country shocks which are longer than stock. But what I can't find are longer springs????

Anyone help?

It's to fit a 1990 200TDI Discovery 3 door. Would be wanting to attain a 1-2" lift in the process and allow enough spring extension to keep them retained top and bottom.

Theres quite a few threads on the forum re members who have increased height of their LRs, a search should give you plenty of reading

In simple form there are 2 parts to a spring - length and poundage.

Find out what you have on yours at the moment, then take a lookie a LR90 (trevs) website where he has a spring calculator and a range of LR springs lengths and poundages.

You could have 2x LRs both sitting at the same height but with hugely differing springs.

One could be short but VERY firm springs with a high poundage, the other with very LONG springs and a soft spring poundage.

Once you have worked out the springs you have (length & Poundage) perusing charts and using Trevs calculator will see you about right.

It also gives you the choice of upping to correct any extra weight ie winches snorkels etc etc - when I did mine I wnated the back slightly higher than the front, so planned accordingly

By doing it this way you get what you want, so you choose poundage, and ride height,

buying some off the shelf "+1 +2 +3 etc" "Lift kits" means you may end up with not what you wnated, ir height but F firm :lol:

Some kits are definately better than others, 'OME' IMHO one of the best :)

You prob also should look into shock lengths, stylees, dislocation cones / retainers etc, and generally what you are trying to achivie ?

Is it just "Height" (easy) or height and axle flex (more difficult) or Height and off road ability and on road manners (Tricky) :)

When you say "I've found the shocks I want to run" I would say "why?"

Dependant on spring length, poundage, flex, bump stops clearnaces etc how are the shocks going to be correct, there is an ellement here of ensuring what you pick will all work together properly, 1st is to sort out the springs, then work out the full open full closed shock measurements etc

Lastly, if you are going to have your springs "Fixed" top and bottom then you can use the Later LR AntiRattle plates to gain around 10-12mm spacer (memory fails at the mo), if fixed then 1 top and 1 bottom gives near 20-25mm from memory - handy for tweaking :)

??

HTH

Nige

Theres quite a few threads on the forum re members who have increased height of their LRs, a search should give you plenty of reading

In simple form there are 2 parts to a spring - length and poundage.

Find out what you have on yours at the moment, then take a lookie a LR90 (trevs) website where he has a spring calculator and a range of LR springs lengths and poundages.

You could have 2x LRs both sitting at the same height but with hugely differing springs.

One could be short but VERY firm springs with a high poundage, the other with very LONG springs and a soft spring poundage.

Once you have worked out the springs you have (length & Poundage) perusing charts and using Trevs calculator will see you about right.

It also gives you the choice of upping to correct any extra weight ie winches snorkels etc etc - when I did mine I wnated the back slightly higher than the front, so planned accordingly

By doing it this way you get what you want, so you choose poundage, and ride height,

buying some off the shelf "+1 +2 +3 etc" "Lift kits" means you may end up with not what you wnated, ir height but F firm :lol:

Some kits are definately better than others, 'OME' IMHO one of the best :)

You prob also should look into shock lengths, stylees, dislocation cones / retainers etc, and generally what you are trying to achivie ?

Is it just "Height" (easy) or height and axle flex (more difficult) or Height and off road ability and on road manners (Tricky) :)

When you say "I've found the shocks I want to run" I would say "why?"

Dependant on spring length, poundage, flex, bump stops clearnaces etc how are the shocks going to be correct, there is an ellement here of ensuring what you pick will all work together properly, 1st is to sort out the springs, then work out the full open full closed shock measurements etc

Lastly, if you are going to have your springs "Fixed" top and bottom then you can use the Later LR AntiRattle plates to gain around 10-12mm spacer (memory fails at the mo), if fixed then 1 top and 1 bottom gives near 20-25mm from memory - handy for tweaking :)

??

HTH

Nige

Thanks, lots of info and lots of help, however has also equalled lot more questions and some confusion on my part.

Aim is increased ride height mostly for looks, but less tyre rubbing and of course increased clearance (well not the axles but better approach/descent angles etc.).

But yes I would be looking for more flex and droop too. But nothing excessive just an improvement over stock.

I like the sound of the Rough Country shocks, partly because they have a great reputation State side with LR’s, Jeeps and Bronco’s and I’ve also heard nothing but good reports on them here in the UK. I’ve spoken to someone about supplying them, think they may be +2 and the correct shock rate for a tdi Disco (what ever that may be).

However I don’t won’t to/can’t run dislocation cones to account for the extra downward wheel travel (droop) so want a fully retained spring top and bottom.

I’ve seen longer springs available from Maxtraction, but I can’t believe the price increase over standard length springs. I know guys in Aus running longer springs but I don’t know where I can buy them here in the UK.

As for poundage, got me I’m not clever enough to work this out.

Do you have a link to LR90/Trev’s website? Thanks :)

Also interested in the LR AntiRattle plates. I’m not familiar with these, any chance of some more info on them or somewhere that sells them.

Thanks.

www.lr90.com oddly enough :)

I believe the number for the early type rubber isolators as found on the back of Tdi Discoverys in the top of the spring is ANR2938 which give about 0.3 inch lift (so 0.6 inch if you use them on both ends of the spring), not sure about the later Discovery 2 type or whether they fit anything other than a D2.

don't forget that good on-road handling, and good off-road performance are often poles apart... maybe worth considering if you do fit that 600bhp, nitrous-injected TDi motor... :lol:

for what its worth, i'd go with old man emu springs, and either Koni or old man emu shocks... check out devon 4x4, for a good price on old man emu gear.

don't forget that good on-road handling, and good off-road performance are often poles apart... maybe worth considering if you do fit that 600bhp, nitrous-injected TDi motor... :lol:

Look thanks for posting and all. But seriously this kind of internet miss-information causes more trouble than it's worth not to mention it takes treads further off topic than needed.

All I said was WOULD a tdi block handle 250-300bhp. As I intended to try and run upto a 100 shot of nitrous on it.

However in later posts I've explained that I would be starting with a 25 shot. So where in the f'ing smeg do you get 600bhp from!