Speed pulse on 110 300 TDI

stobbie

I have an older becker radio/gps system in my 110, the radio is excellent but I have never used the gps because I don't have a speed signal for it.

I don't want to spend much money on this older system, I have a Tom Tom in my disco, but it would be nice if i would get the becker to work.

All available pulse generators cost too much.

I was thinking about glueing one or two magnets on the hand brake drum, and put a hall sensor just above it. Do you think I could use the pulse out from the hall sensor directly on the speed pulse in from the becker?

I have an older becker radio/gps system in my 110, the radio is excellent but I have never used the gps because I don't have a speed signal for it.

I don't want to spend much money on this older system, I have a Tom Tom in my disco, but it would be nice if i would get the becker to work.

All available pulse generators cost too much.

I was thinking about glueing one or two magnets on the hand brake drum, and put a hall sensor just above it. Do you think I could use the pulse out from the hall sensor directly on the speed pulse in from the becker?

it would be very easy to do - but how do you propose converting it to a usable MPH figure as it would JUST tell you how fast the drum was rotating ?

it would be very easy to do - but how do you propose converting it to a usable MPH figure as it would JUST tell you how fast the drum was rotating ?

I don't think the gps needs a usable mph figure, I think it calibrates it self using gps information or am I wrong?

I think it is used for when driving in tunnels or something, I just know the older units will not work without this pulse connected.

If I have the pulse, I can also fit a cruise control to that same pulse.

I'd just use the electronic speed transducer from a RR or Disco, there are some that fit in-line with the speedo cable and some that bolt directly in place of the speedo cable on the transfer box.

Speedo drive ratios have been covered here before, a search should turn up the info you need.

hope you've got lots of speare magnets, it might dropof at some point.

That is a possibility, magnets are cheap :-) . I've glued the magnet into the recessed area of the drum so it won't be the first thing that is hit, also I almost don't use the car offroad. The magnet seems very thight, I have used SUPERglue.

I think you will find the reed switch will not last long either.

Steve

That is also a possibility. Depending on how long it's gonna last I may replace it with a hall sensor at some point, the price of that is almost the same as a reed switch.