How to disable PAS???

Hi All,

question is as follows: let's suppose we have a defender (Td5, for what matters) with a badly leaking steering box. Under pressure, the oil comes out at a considerable rate and the reservoir will empty in quite a short time.

The question is not hypothetical, as a friend of mine tried to replace the seals on the output shaft, but the outcome seems to be worse than the original condition...

How can we manage to drive the car, at least for a few tenths of km's, in order to reach a workshop? Removing the polivee belt, we'll lose function of the water pump, so this is not a viable solution; if the PAS pump runs out of oil, will it be damaged? I'm pretty sure it will...

Perhaps the way to go is joining together the pump pipes, so that it runs in a close circuit??

And doing the same on the box?

Without steering assistance pressure, the box seals are reasonably tight, the box won't be empty in a short time.

TYA!

Joining the output to the return on the pump is about your best bet if you can't remove the belt. Pumps don't like being run low on oil, although mine ran for over 1000 miles with low/no oil and seems fine I wouldn't recommend it.

:blink: Is that why I hear some strange noise when I turn at extreme angles? (From 12:00am ti 15:00pm) Currently mine is leaking like wild honey... :ph34r: I have ordered one from Adwest and will be working on it this wekend.. <_<

My friend has been told that steering box removal implies "lifting" the Td5 engine (workshop wasn't much detailed abot what this lifting actually means...)!!!!

Sinche he is not keen on entering into such a mess, he was considering the option of dirving the car to a workshop; it is reasonable to presume that running o no oil won't do the pump any good, but Fridge's experience might indicate that a short distance won't destroy it.

How much did Adwest charge you for the box, Dan, if I may ask, and is it a new or a reconditioned one?

I would not recommend running the pump dry- it will cause damage as the fluid lubricates the internals as well as being the hydralic fluid. FF what are your lottery numbers??? 1000 miles with no fluid and no damage... lucky swine!!!

I would either drop a small amount of brake fluid (cap full) into the PAS reservoir which seems to swell the seals in the steering box enough to stop small leaks- working beautifully on Ian H's 90!!- which might hold the fluid long enough to get you to a workshop, or just remove the steering box from the hydraulic circuit by connecting the two pipes together with some hose and jubliee clips- the pressure would only be low as there would be very little resistance in the circuit. Fluid would then run from the reservior to the pump and then direct back to the reservior.

My friend has been told that steering box removal implies "lifting" the Td5 engine (workshop wasn't much detailed abot what this lifting actually means...)!!!!

Sinche he is not keen on entering into such a mess, he was considering the option of dirving the car to a workshop; it is reasonable to presume that running o no oil won't do the pump any good, but Fridge's experience might indicate that a short distance won't destroy it.

How much did Adwest charge you for the box, Dan, if I may ask, and is it a new or a reconditioned one?

<_< It costs around £153 +£55+17% +£P&p...... plus drop arm...I came up to around £254 and yeah they sell it direct... I have also purchased the 3 hoes connecting to the pump.. Once there it is best to get it all done once and for all... I gave it once a good WHACKING (Drop arm will not come off) :blink: which has led me to this horrible situation...... The hoes cost around £138 inclusive p&p...... DOH!!! says Bart Simpson... :angry: It is a new pump I guess they do not sell preconditioned Pumps....!!! :(

• 2 weeks later...

Steering box came yesterday from Adwest. Right to my doorsteps.... :lol: ....U should simply see the look on my face.. Like a baby opening a birthday present. Having a Defender is an addiction..... Can't live without......Take a look at it..

post-7610-1211015662_thumb.jpg