The time I 've been dreading has arrived..

Hey,

I have this funny sound I can hear when I pull off. It seems to be coming from the battery box/transmission tunnel area, but its really hard to pinpoint these things!

It is a slightly metallic, sort of squeaky sound. Something like a washer rattling on a shaft. I phoned my garage today & they said it could be the UJ in the front prop? Does this sound like it could be the problem perhaps, or something else? It only happen as I pull off, and get up to about 30 or so, then stops... its usually not too loud, just annoying, but occasionally it gets a bit louder & slightly more persistent.

It think it stops when I apply the clutch too.

I initialy thought it was the bracket that holds the battery in place, as my bracket does not fit over the battery. Upon removing this bracket, the sound is still there. The sound is NOT a heavy type sound, which is why I thought it could be something the size/weight of a battery bracket.

A bit vague, I know, but any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Martin

John, funny that you should mention handbrake shoes binding.......another sound I can hear which I dont think is related to this one, is a sort of low pitched "thrum" when decelerating, or pottering along really slowly.......sometimes when I go round roundabouts, it feels a little like its binding, but only very slightly, and not all the time. Handbrake was my first thought (or diff, if Im feeling pessimistic about everything!!)

The old boy is going in on thursday, so I will mention it to my garage then.

Glad to hear you got it sorted though.

Well, I PAID someone to sort it for me! Not quite ready to undertake these things on my own yet! However, my garage are awesome, as they always let me watch & see whats going on, and answer all my questions.......next UJ I think I will be able to do on my own!

the mud shield on the transfer box or axle pinion can work loose and rattle, check them.

Ralph, sorry to sound like a numpty - it's easy enough for me - but where is this and how is it tightened / checked?

Ralph, sorry to sound like a numpty - it's easy enough for me - but where is this and how is it tightened / checked?

at each prop flange on each axle & both ends of the transfer box, the oil seal is protected by a circular mud shield, the prop flange secures them in place & sometimes the shield gets loose & rattles, looking at the parts diagram, seems it's held in place by a large circlip. not sure if the prop flange actually tightens it, but a bit of judicous bending may help the mudshield sit still & stop rattling.

at least he didn't say 'blow off'

Now, now Ralph......!!

Hey, never did get that disc you gave me to install properly on Vista. :( Although did get my computer back up and running....but lost all my music & pictures! :o

Never mind, you will have to continue to be our definitive source for all things part number related! ;)

Martin