removing engine

macandrc

Or you can drop the engine down on a jack by taking the mounts off and then using a combination of short extensions and ring spanners, you shoud be able to get in at them all.

H

Or you can drop the engine down on a jack by taking the mounts off and then using a combination of short extensions and ring spanners, you shoud be able to get in at them all.

H

I did that job 2 years ago to change the clutch and the top few bolts are very difficult . I used a number of extensions , some of them the 'wobbly' type which I found helped me to get the socket on the bolt .

The other big problem I found was that having got the socket on the bolt I had very little room to turn the ratchet - this is where a selection of extensions of various lengths come in useful as you can get the ratchet in a position where you have a bit of room to work . I was lucky enough to have an air ratchet - without it I imagine it would have taken a long time .

It can be done though . If I was doing it again I would consider removing the engine mountings and see if I could drop engine and box enough to get at the bolts from the engine bay . I seem to recall that the steering box may cause problems when lowering the engine - but not sure .

Suport the engine or preferably use an engine lift (you'l need it to lift the engine out anyway) remove the engine to mount bolts, remove the mounts from the engine and drop it carefuly, you can get to the top gearbox bolts quite easily. the disco will lift up on it's suspension more than you will beleive so make sure you have plenty of lift hight.

Dont do what I watched one person doing, he took a clawbar to the bulkhead and tried to bent it backwards :-)

To stop the vehicle rising when the engine is removed, a pair of ratchet straps around the chassis and axle could be used. Or a pair of spring compressors on either side (4 in total).