Another portal axle thread

I picked up the LRO mag to read on hols and was stirred by the sight of that Disco2 with portal axles converted by Straight Forward supplies.

I've never really taken an interest in all that portal nonsense cos it usually involves words like 'fabricate' and 'trial and error' but now I need to know more!

So, the basic questions are:

1. Anyone from Straight Forward on here or does someone know them well?

2. Anyone know that Disco?

3. How messed up is the handling characteristics?

4. How expensive is that job?

5. Am I right in assuming it gives: front & rear diff locks and front to rear locking (assuming they used the correct transfer box)

6. Because of the gearing and load increases are we to assume a manual TD5/V8 clutch isn't man enough for the job?

7. Finally, in light of Bish's SVA thread, would such a mod likely render that Disco in the same boat as Bish's Rangie?

Cheers

Ahh yes, he got a good reception on Pirate with his excellent attitude:

There should be a minimum requirment of 37 inch tires to be allowed to post in this section to stop all the complete w**kers

1. Anyone from Straight Forward on here or does someone know them well?

I've seen enough of his "engineering" to know I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

2. Anyone know that Disco?

See the Pirate link :P

3. How messed up is the handling characteristics?

On that disco - no idea.

On trucks with portals fitted properly there's no difference other than the obvious height increase.

4. How expensive is that job?

If you have to ask...

Rough guess, there's a set of Mog axles in the classifieds for £1k, expect to spend another £1k making them right and if you have to pay someone to fit them, first you've got to find someone competent enough to do the job. I can count on the fingers of two fingers the number of people I'd trust to do it.

5. Am I right in assuming it gives: front & rear diff locks and front to rear locking (assuming they used the correct transfer box)

Unless you change the transfer box you'll have the same centre difflock as you currently do. The axles have lockers too, same as Volvos.

6. Because of the gearing and load increases are we to assume a manual TD5/V8 clutch isn't man enough for the job?

That depends, overall the gearing may be lower than a stock vehicle on small tyres, my gearing is lower than a 90 on 205's and I'm running 37's.

7. Finally, in light of Bish's SVA thread, would such a mod likely render that Disco in the same boat as Bish's Rangie?

Depends how closely you follow the letter of the manual and what else is done in the fitting process, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Several lab-built trucks, mine included, you could unbolt the portals and bolt standard axles back on with no mods. Others chop the suspension & chassis about to make fit, which puts you further into the SVA zone.

I'd agree with John particularly on point 1

This then leads to point 3 and the requirement that the work is done properly... :ph34r: Assuming this conversion has been done well the handling will be effected more than a Volvo portaled vehicle due to the rather large increase in unsprung weight. However, given the height of the vehicle and the size of the sidewalls on the tyres you can't expect it to have the handling of a sports car!

Clutch / gearbox shouldn't be a big issues. Yes the tyres are bigger but the gearing is lower meaning the load the geabox sees is thoeretically the same. In practice you will see an increase but this is due to a bit of extra weight (no problem given what Land Rovers are designed to tow) and some extra drag.

I think you should do it, just like the rickslandy's bloke. It looks like a very well engineered set up from a thoughtful bloke. Go for it!

...you wouldn't mind me taking a little life insurance out on you with me as the beneficiary, would you?