Help! Engine stalling!

Typsey

Help needed.

After a weekly check during which I let out a bit of fuel from the filter when checking for water, my Disco will not run except at idle. Once I use the throttle it cuts out after 5 seconds or so and the revs drop. Sometimes it manages to keep itself going and get back up to idle, but mostly it will stall.

I have had a go at bleeding the fuel system, though I do not really know how to do this properly and I think the lever on the fuel pump is not working. I have manually filled the fuel filter back up and have tried priming the system using the bleed screw on top of the filter and the lever on the fuel pump, but even after 10 minutes of trying, I can not seem to get any pressure coming out.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Typsey

All Tdi engines are "self purging" that means you change the fuel filter,start the engine and it eventually clears any air in the system.

I have never had to put diesel into a new fuel filter.Neither do I disturb the fuel filter except to change it.

You haven't said what year the Discovery is.200Tdi or 300Tdi.

You could have more than one problem.

1 Lift pump.They give up for no reason at all,generally after a filter change.

2 A blocked sedimenter.Or frozed water in the sedimenter.

3 The fuel lines at the fuel tank sender porus.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !

Prezackly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. Engine would idle nicely and cut out if the pedal was pushed. Went mad bleeding everything, diesel all over the place (and me). Eventually I found it was that stupid plastic screw in the sedimenter - I had not done it up tight enough being afraid it would break off. I have left it strictly alone since then.

It may not be that plastic screw, but you definitely have an air leak somewhere.

Prezackly the same thing happened to me a few years ago. Engine would idle nicely and cut out if the pedal was pushed. Went mad bleeding everything, diesel all over the place (and me). Eventually I found it was that stupid plastic screw in the sedimenter - I had not done it up tight enough being afraid it would break off. I have left it strictly alone since then.

It may not be that plastic screw, but you definitely have an air leak somewhere.

Think I have worked out the problem, just not how to fix it. Working logically backwards and looking at what I was doing before the symptoms arose, it would appear that it is either the drain tap on the filter or the bleed screw.

I think it might actually be the bleed screw as when I was undoing it, a load a metallic bits seemed to come off it as well. I think that this might have been some sort of thread lock and that at some point it was bodged. I also think that either the bleed screw or it's housing have worn out as it does not seem to tighten up properly.

Any ideas how to fix this without having to buy a new filter housing?

There should be a washer under the bleed screw head [AEU2149L -- Washer sealing], is this intact? if not fit a new one. if the thread for the bleed screw is wrecked you could retap it to a larger size and fit a larger bleed screw.

Washer is still there. Might try the new screw. Would putting a load of thread lock on it work?

No don't use threadlock, as it will be difficult to undo next time, fitting a new screw would be the best move.

Used thread lock for the bodge. It works. Will get in touch with local dealer to find out how much it costs. Might try the local scrap yards to see if they have the housing for sale as well because I think the internal thread is knackered too.

Thanks the for help locating the fault.

Typsey

Used thread lock for the bodge. It works. Will get in touch with local dealer to find out how much it costs. Might try the local scrap yards to see if they have the housing for sale as well because I think the internal thread is knackered too.

Thanks the for help locating the fault.

Typsey

You could get a local engineering co. to fit a 'helicoil' insert to restore the thread back to original size for a new bleed screw.

You could get a local engineering co. to fit a 'helicoil' insert to restore the thread back to original size for a new bleed screw.

Will have a look at that if a new bleed screw doesn't work.

Thanks for you help.