Suggestions on buying a Series (II)

Michele

Well I always wanted one (or more!) to cherish or a desiderable wreck to modify and make a sort of roverbuggy/hybrid/plaything without fear.

€ 500 in the wallet,my co-driver would jump in and add another 250 Euros.

I have no trailer.

I have no welder and need the truck to roll on wheels at least to be moved from a workshop to another if needed.

I found two Series IIAs...always wanted a Lightweight or a Series One a la ARC racer but nothing like that in Italy :(

First IIA is a RHD soft top,I guess petrol,in gc,complete,body is straight,engine/tranny/axles there's everything but the soft top.Even interiors are nice.No pic.

X-member is rotten (I'd have a modified one build from scratch anyway) and chassis...er it's so covered in mud/dirt I can't see underneath,only see superficial rust here and there (uh) :unsure:

This truck was driven from UK to Italy and then reg plates were taken off and officially is "demolished",it means it doesn't exist for the Italian MoT and no way you will never get it taxed/insured again so no streetable ever more unless you register it again in another country and then re-import (too many paper$).

This 88" has been switched off 20 yrs ago.

Price:500€ + 100€ for the local mechanic to bring it home for me.

The other IIA is an ex-military 88",LHD,diesel,in a quite sorry state,body is less straight but complete (there are lights on wings but the 2 close to grill are missing) inside is a mess,cab you wouldn't sit in fearing some exotic virus and rear loadbay is battered and you can literally twist the panels/cappings by hand (didn't know they were so soft!),I've been told all Series are like that :blink:

X-member is rotten AND bent as been forklifted but the rear xmember failed :(

See pic.

post-76-1210852048_thumb.jpg

HT has been fitted so in a way I could leave the thing outside until I find a place to store it and start disassembling.

This 88" is taxed and insured and can be registed as historical vehicle (low taxes).

Price is €800 but €500 to me (my ex-boss,who is a collector).

Switched off 5 yrs ago.

He said he would have started it for me but called a few days ago to say his mechanic tried but "clutch is stuck and won't let the engine run".

I have little or no mechanic skills at all so I'm not sure of what it means :unsure:

I'd take the ex-military if only for the reg plate and option to drive it on public road one day if needed.

I can have the chassis sandblasted/patched/welded cheap,paint it myself,metal bits done (same fabricator who helps me with my D90),bumpers/sliders/brackets/tabs;just totally ignorant when it comes to engines/tranny.

"How to reanimate a Series" guide for dummies around?

Can I buy a manual and "simply" take everything to bits,clean,replace worn parts and rebuild,add fluids and turn the key? :unsure:

Opinions?

:unsure:

Money thrown in the bin or worth a try?

TIA.

It's always a worthwhile project bringing an old Series back to life, there's plenty of info in the Series forum ;) and I'm sure people can provide answers to any specific questions you've got.

If the clutch seizes it means it's permanently engaged, that wouldn't stop the engine from starting it just means you have to be very sure it's in neutral before you try. Often putting it in gear and rocking the car back & forward will un-stick a clutch although long-term you'll need to replace it.

John,

just spoke to my trusted mechanic and he said right what you wrote!

If only the engine started,that would be reassuring...a lot...

Mark!

Of course!

Just refit the original front panels to recoup the Series look and we can speak!

BTW did you see my budget?

:P;)

• 1 month later...

Well I officially joined the Series club!

Engine of the military IIA didn't start in the end,and the body went to another buyer...

I instead bought the RHD petrol 88" in the barn.

Engine started no fuss!

(I wasn't there though)

Clutch again is stuck and no brakes but oh who cares now...

I have to wait until the weekend to check the creature out (chassis) and take pics,then make plans

:D