clutch woes

toady

the story so far..... I have a 300 tdi discovery, she was sat up for approx 6 weeks whilst I done some work on her, got her through her mot, then took her on a round trip of 180 ish miles yesturday, not a problem at all she ran like the old disco i know and love!, but... jumped in her this morning put clutch in, and it felt a little strange like vibrations?? but she selected gears and off we went, went approx 50 yards and the pedal went to the floor and stayed there, no selection whatsoever, so turned her off selected first and set off in gear to get home, the pedal would come back if pulled up but stayed down once there, left the car for a couple of hours then went to have a look, and found that the pedal is now returning but will only go half way down, but still no gear selection.

I was thinking either master or slave cylinder fault, but not sure what do you think??

You will have to hope that it is a master or slave problem. Personally I think your clutch pushrod may have broken through the clutch fork, a not uncommon thing if the fork has not been reinforced.

You will have to hope that it is a master or slave problem. Personally I think your clutch pushrod may have broken through the clutch fork, a not uncommon thing if the fork has not been reinforced.

how will i tell the difference, and if it is that, is it a big job / whats involved with that??

I think you will find Toady is correct in that i have always found ramdom clutch faults on a Disco to be the fork has punched through where it pivots on a ball. Prob best to fit a new clutch while it is all off.

I am not toady!

Now to reply to toady: yes it is a biggish job, like all clutch jobs on a Land Rover. The gearboxes will have to be unbolted and moved back to give clearance to change the fork. Maybe you should do the whole clutch while you are there. Strengthened clutch forks can be made (one minute with a bit of metal and a welder) or you can buy them from Bearmach.

I would have a look through the Technical Archive, there is bound to be an article about it in there.

Toady

whip the clutch slave cylinder out (13mm spanner) just undo the two bolts pull the cylinder out

and check if the rod is still connected to the arm you should be able to see if its pushed thru

not sure if its the same on a 300 but on the 200 if the arm goes back to far it wedges itself on the bell housing

Seen simillar fault on a Disco unfortunatly it was the clutch fork, I think its easier to move the engine forward as you might need to drop it to get to the upper bellhousing bolts, the answer will be in this forum its great.

Good clutch kits used to be supplied with a replacement fork maybe still do and worth asking the question.

Just a thought, are you sure the master cylinder is working, I've seen a Disco with a sticking pedal, the master was goosed.

When the fork failed ( pivot went through it ) on my 96 300 Tdi the pedal went solid - would only go down when bleed screw on slave was opened .

I took out the engine as I had a way to lift - not too bad a job apart from a few bolts at the top of the bellhousing . I did the rear crank seal as well ; and I sorted out a few other niggles which were simple due to the great access .

ok went out last night, clamped the flexi pipe, presed the clutch down and lifted it up a few times with no change, still no resistance whatsoever, so is it safe to assume its the master????(fingers crossed!!)