To hammer or to underseal?

Sip

Hi

Just stripped off the rear tub of my 110, (van to csw project), and the chassis is in good nick. Bit of surface rust and whatever coating was originally on it, peeling away.

My thoughts were to paint it and I was thinking of either hammeriting it or using the waxoil underseal.

Any ideas, opionions, recomendations on these products?

Cheers

Neil

Not that my opinion counts for anything as I dont know much about looking after chassis, but, I've chosen to paint my chassis with anti rust paint like Red lead....but its yellow! :) I dont like waxoil becuase I'm always under the landrover adding, removing, adjusting and repairing things and dont want to have to fight though a barrier of waxoil. I will however be spraying waxoil inside the chassis as I dont think the paint will get in all the nooks and crannies that I cant see.

We used some red oxide stuff, about 3 coats, then we coated that with black hammerite, we then planned to spray wax oil inside the chassis but we haven't got round to it yet (3 years later)

The chassis still looks perfect

Guest noggy

give it a good coating of red oxide then waxoil inside and out just to be sure :)

but waxoil after you have your tub on etc, otherwise everytime you go under to tighten a bolt etc, your gonna get covered in waxoil

Not that my opinion counts for anything as I dont know much about looking after chassis,

Erm...........

Anyway, you can buy hammerite with waxoyl from the likes of Halfords, and it's about £25 for a 2.5L tin.

You could use Stone Chip paint, which is pretty good stuff, but a bit expensive as you either buy it in aerosol cans or with spray gear/shutz gun.

Les.

There is a good looking product made by the Waxoyl people called something like "undershield with added waxoyl" in a similar looking 1L tin to Waxoyl for a Schutz gun, we had some at work the other day and the finish was lovely, nice sticky thick black goo like the factory used to put on in the good old days and it went on in a very even layer though the guy doing it is experienced at spraying. I'll be doing mine with that some time (round tuit job!)

I wouldn't even bother to paint an old wheelbarrow with Hammerite paint, I have used it in the past on bumpers, roof racks and other things and without exception it fell off everything!

Guest noggy

i do have to agree about hammerite, it does tend to fall off in big clump/flake things

red oxide is always good. i use another paint... aswell but i cant remember what its called, i will have a look in the workshop tomorrow!

Not had any problems with hammerite myself, as I say it's been on my chassis for 3 years with no problems, no flaking and it's had plenty of pressure washing after off-roading.

I also painted a motorbike frame with hammerite about 5 years ago or so and that's still perfect, for that I stripped it down to bare metal, then used Hammerite Rust Eater Primer Spray, then used hammerite smooth black spray. I ended up with a really good result that I was really proud of, and it's still perfect today.

Only bad experience I had was trying to tart up a rusty garden bench, it looked good for a few months but then flaked and fell off over winter. The only difference was I didn't prepare the metal properly like I did with the chassis and the bike frame, so I would put it down to bad preparation if it falls off