Restoring & upgrading a Defender

Hi boys and girls!

Let me introduce myself: I'm Pieterjan and live in the beautiful city Gent in Belgium. I'm 21 years old and my parents and I all drive Saab's. I personally drive a white Saab 900i from 1989, my parents drive 9-5's. Great cars i must say. I love Saab, don't get me wrong, but i'm always been a hugh Land Rover fan. In the matter of fact, I'm a hugh 4x4 fan in general!

From my 15 until now I was always bussy with the restoration and tuning of Honda 4mini bikes: the Dax, Monkey,... Now, i'm restoring my final Dax, and after that, I want to close that chaptor with great memory's and a perfect Dax in the garage ;).

But because I'm a petrolhead I, offcourse, want a new hobby! This new hobby will be restoring and upgrading a Defender!

It will be my goal to have a original looking Defender 90 from 2007-2008, but with the handeling, braking power and power of a sportscar so I can drive daily and always on the road! But, If I want to complete that goal, I will need your help :).

But, before I start the build, I have some questions, I hope you can help me!

1) In 1990, Land Rover launched the series station wagon under the name "Defender". The defenders have a newer body + chassis then the older station wagens and I just love that style! So I want to buy a 90 model from 1990 or up. Now my question: From 1990 until 2006, has de Defender have had updates? Or has the car always stayed the same in those 16 years?

2) Can I, in a 1990 model or up, change the stock suspension by a airride suspension? The reason that I want airride suspension is that I would always ride on normal type road's, so no offroading. And because I would change the engine to a V8 4.2 Jaguar XK 4.2 V8 engine it would be better to have perfect suspension that I can raise and lower when I drive... That way I can set the Defender on a normal hight when I ride it "slow", and set the Defender low when I want to do some highways at a Jaguar XK speed ;). What do you think about that idea?

3) Bowler has already used a XK engine for a Defender, but that's a proffesional company... has anyone of you did a engine change like that?

4) Are there plug'n'play disc brake kits for a defender 90?

5) Are there full polyester/carbon Defender 90 body's?

That are all my questions for now :).

Cheers

Pieterjan

Guest otchie1
It will be my goal to have a original looking Defender 90 from 2007-2008, but with the handeling, braking power and power of a sportscar so I can drive daily and always on the road! But, If I want to complete that goal, I will need your help :).

Not possible, give up now. It sits so high up in the air and weighs so much it ain't ever going to handle like anything other than a tent.

1) From 1990 until 2006, has de Defender have had updates? Or has the car always stayed the same in those 16 years?

just a few cosmetics I think - they look the same to me

2) ....Defender on a normal hight when I ride it "slow", and set the Defender low when I want to do some highways at a Jaguar XK speed ;). What do you think about that idea?

have a look under a Defender and see how high the chassis is off the deck...that's integral to the 'look' of the thing

3) Bowler has already used a XK engine for a Defender, but that's a proffesional company... has anyone of you did a engine change like that?

You can fit any engine that'll fit provided you can match it up to the bellhousing

4) Are there plug'n'play disc brake kits for a defender 90?

Discovery axles are favoured for this upgrade I believe.

5) Are there full polyester/carbon Defender 90 body's?

I think plastic wings are available but such heresy makes me shudder

That are all my questions for now :).

Cheers

Pieterjan

Send us pictures when you start :rolleyes:

Guest noggy

this project is going to burn a amazingly stupid amount of money, and even when your done, your going to have a flimsy brick, with a under geared drive train.

you might be a great engineer/restorer, but there is a LOT of work involved in this.

2) Can I, in a 1990 model or up, change the stock suspension by a airride suspension? The reason that I want airride suspension is that I would always ride on normal type road's, so no offroading. And because I would change the engine to a V8 4.2 Jaguar XK 4.2 V8 engine it would be better to have perfect suspension that I can raise and lower when I drive... That way I can set the Defender on a normal hight when I ride it "slow", and set the Defender low when I want to do some highways at a Jaguar XK speed ;). What do you think about that idea?

In Belgium you are not allowed to put Non-Land Rover engines into any Land Rover product IF you want to make the vehicle roadworthy. Also, the suspension should be 'stock' or near stock. There are tolerances allowed, but you'd be surprised by the limitations. Check the Belgian Land Rover Forum for more information regarding the Belgian version of the MOT, the dreaded 'keuring'.

Probably your best bet is to look for either an overfinch or lichfield. I know that Lichfield did a couple of defenders. Fitting a TVR V8 and uprated suspension etc.... You can get defenders to be quick but as has been said above a sportscar will always be quicker and better handling. An Overfinch Range Rover will be quick in a straight line and they are reasonably priced. There is a landrover in the vehicles section being fitted with a V12 Jag engine. That is probably a good starting point to see what sort of thing can be done and how to do it. First thing though is to find out what you are legally allowed to do.

HTH

Ec

Ok, I called to bowler for some information and ask of they want to make a Wildcat for me,

but they stoped the production... :( BUT, the good news is that QT Services takes over the rights and production...

So I called to QT and the conclusion is that I will travel in august to Liskeard for some testdriving and maybe some money spending :).

Thanks for the info friends!