Spraying Metallic

draper40

Hey,

What are the differences between spraying a metallic paint and a normal one as I am looking at respraying the 90 in bonatti grey using a air powered spray gun. Also where do I find a paint code for this paint?

Pete

I have just home sprayed my 110csw in bonnatti grey it was the first time that i had sprayed metallic and it wasn't all that bad i got some good advice from my local paint supplier with regards to thinners etc and it all went on fine, i finished it all off with 8 coats of clear it has been 5 days since i finshed it so i can compound it this weekend but it has a great shine already.

Metallic and/or pearlescent paints comprise the base coat which is the colour coat - and a clear lacquer sprayed over the top.

The base coat dries matt & it's the clearcoat that gives the shine so you need two lots of materials plus thinner/hardener etc.

What ever paint you get ask for the Technical Data sheets (examples at http://corporateportal.ppg.com/Refinish/Ma...D/3000_TDS.html

)as these have all necessary info as to pressure, thinning, drying times ete etc AND safety info re breathing protection.

Not difficult to use - but I do it every day!

Bonatti Grey code is LAL

If you use Cellulose-based paint it all comes in one tin and you don't have to use laquer. To get an even coat you need to occasionally shake the spray gun to keep the paint mixed. The metal particles will continually try to settle to the bottom, so you need to keep them in suspension.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim
The metal particles will continually try to settle to the bottom, so you need to keep them in suspension.

Les.

But don't use orange suspension, or they'll definately sag to the bottom.... :lol::lol::lol:

metalic takes 3 or 4 passes to get the cover, where as with standard 'flat' colours you can coover the panel in one,

a matter of building up the 'layers' with each pass the mist covers over and over till all the panel is coloured....

.....have i just confused it or does that make sense?

think of colouring in with a felt tip, where you go over a previous line you get that horrible lap

with metalic you get something similar