Who tested OEM and aftermarket CVs a while back

Gromit

I've a vague recollection that someone tested a bunch of CVs to see at what torque the gave up at, and where they broke.

I remember the results favouring the after-market ones, as they were stronger and broke more cleanly.

Who tested them, was it Si?

Anyone got the results?

Yes, it was Ashcrofts and the results showed that Paddock ones were stronger than genuine ones.

However, I had four paddock ones, of various ages, in the lathe last weekend (don't ask) and the hardening was completely different on a couple of them. One pair machined like ali, one pair made stainless look easy. As is my wider experience, it's pot luck on quality with Paddock.

Hi,

just added this from the web site,

CV data graph

all tested at 30 deg, this shows :

blue, short front 32/24 genuine shaft with genuine late 32 sp CV, CV failed at 3712 ft/lb

pink, short front HD 23/24 shaft with genuine 2522 CV, CV failed at 4154 ft/lb

turquoise, short front HD 23/24 shaft with pattern cheapo 2522 CV, CV failed at 4242 ft/lb

red, short front HD 23/24 shaft with HD 2522 CV, SHAFT failed at 5745 ft/lb

note on the last one the shaft failed not the CV !

Be aware if you plan on running aftermarket cheapo 23/24 spline CVs (AEU2522's) they do tend to go on the stub shaft as the testing suggests. This is what I used to run and I've had this sort of failier blow the ends of the stub axle outwards making it impossible to get the hub nuts off (had to split them in the end). It doesn't always happen but its a pain when it does. It does mean you can continue to drive (unlike a failer at the bell which often locks the steering) but the repair will be more involved.

Ashcorft's CVs solved all that - superb bits of kit!!! (You can send the cheque to the usual address, Dave :P )

Do you also have figures for the HD replacement late CVs you sell? I would be interested to see how they compare.

Thanks,

Filip

no, as the shafts break first on the test rig we are not able to determine when the CV will fail,