wandering defender90 300tdi

my defender has always wandered all over the road when i touch the brakes its so bad now i thought i would try to mend it.i brought a polybush kit no better ,steering box ,checked the swivels bearings ect.The only thing i find left now is by the steering rod is another bar above sort off but that seems okany ideas what else i can try

Rear axle bushes - all of them, particularly the trailing arms. Worn bushes leads to rear steer, particularly under braking.

thanks for the reply ive done them i think are they the arms about 18" long one each side

Ray,

Whilst the vehicle is stationary, get somebody to move the steering wheel from side to side (enough to feel wheel pressure) and then look underneath for movement in the steering joints ................ particularly the drop arm ball joint (just below the steering box) .

Also, if it is brake related then check the wheel bearings and also look for corrosion in the caliper pistons which cause unbalancced braking.

Check the rear A frame bushes where it locates to the X member..................

:)

well i pulled,held allsorts cant find nothing.mot man said brakes are fine.when i brake steering is all over the place if i brake hard i have to correct the steering not nice.tried two new steering boxes

Check where the panhard rod attaches to the front axle, the holes on the axle can elongate & give you excessive amounts of "slop". Get somebody to move the steering side to side & youll see if theres any play. Ive seen axles that have had washers welded on to be rid of the problem.

Adrian

I had something like this a while back.... Turned out to be combination of loose / worn steering column UJ's and worn bushes in the front hockey sticks.

Now rock solid, although we did replace all other bushes in the end as well ! :)

Neil

Check & tick off:-

Track rod ends

Drop arm bush

Radius arm bushes

Shock bushes

Shocks

Springs

Panhard bushes

Steering arm bushes

Given the amount of items all relative to steering, a combination of any of them worn just a little will end up in total to be quite alot of wear. Just go thru them all in a process of elimintaion. Not necessarilary in the order shown, leave the most expensive till last.Youve already done a few of the expensive jobs so at least your a step closer to solving your problem. Ive had problems with vague & wandering steering & having replaced most of the worn/old parts, the steering has now nearly been regained to waht I would feel is more than adequote for the vehicle.

Good luck Adrian

I had the same with mine a while back, took the brakes all to pieces, made sure none of the seals in the axle where leaking any oil onto the brakes, cleaned all the brakes up & replaced all the caliper pistons & seals(which where absolutly shot), job done, problem sorted! B)

it seems like it was the front wheel bearings i repaced them 6months ago and retighted them today half a turn and it seems to have worked.does anyone one no if they should be above finger tight because mine are spanner tight now