Odd Starting

HI

My 300tdi 90 has started playing up first thing in the morning!It used to start first thing right on the button,but now all of a sudden it coughs a few times then fires(starts) after 3-4 seconds!!!

I have checked all the normal things i.e pump timing,high pressure fuel lines etc but to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?????

Chris

Heater plugs would be my guess. The 300Tdi engines start fairly well with blown heater plugs for most of the year but once it gets down towards freezing, they will start in the mornings but as yours is doing, they take a few seconds of cranking and then come to life with a bit of juddering and farting and often a fair bit of smoke (from the unburned fuel when cranking over).

HI

My 300tdi 90 has started playing up first thing in the morning!It used to start first thing right on the button,but now all of a sudden it coughs a few times then fires(starts) after 3-4 seconds!!!

I have checked all the normal things i.e pump timing,high pressure fuel lines etc but to no avail.

Chris

Yep have checked them out and all ok!

How did you check your glow plugs? The only real way to test them is to remove them and put battery voltage across them. The tip should quickly glow red, not the middle of the plug. It's safest to put them in a vice while doing this! I have had a few plugs which seemed to read ok with a multimeter but didn't work at all on the bench. This especially applies to 'pirate' parts, especially the ones marked 'County' which are carp IMHO. Real BERU plugs are the only ones to use.

If it's not your plugs, get the compression tested while the plugs are out. When my compressions were down the engine would not easily start from cold.

How did you check your glow plugs? The only real way to test them is to remove them and put battery voltage across them. The tip should quickly glow red, not the middle of the plug. It's safest to put them in a vice while doing this! I have had a few plugs which seemed to read ok with a multimeter but didn't work at all on the bench. This especially applies to 'pirate' parts, especially the ones marked 'County' which are carp IMHO. Real BERU plugs are the only ones to use.

If it's not your plugs, get the compression tested while the plugs are out. When my compressions were down the engine would not easily start from cold.

Removed all the plugs and gave tham 12v and yep they where fine,compresions where all within 8% of each other!!

HI

Chris

What about a poor connection/supply to the fuel shut off solenoid?

Under engine cranking(particularly when engine and ambient air is cold) demand on the electrical system is high. In theory it could create low voltage at shut off solenoid if connections/wiring are poor.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Diff

What about a poor connection/supply to the fuel shut off solenoid?

Under engine cranking(particularly when engine and ambient air is cold) demand on the electrical system is high. In theory it could create low voltage at shut off solenoid if connections/wiring are poor.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Diff

I tryd a new cut off solnoid with a seperate feed and nope its not that !!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmm this is getting to be fun.

Filling up with the right grade of Diesel?

I suppose that you have checked that as well... If not the plugs neither the compression, I'd say it is lacking some fuel upon start-up...

From my recollection of Chris's Land Rover, he uses a 50/50 mixture of diesel/cooking oil from the local Chippy or is it ASDA!!

Until now he has had no problems.

John

From my recollection of Chris's Land Rover, he uses a 50/50 mixture of diesel/cooking oil from the local Chippy or is it ASDA!!

Until now he has had no problems.

John

I have not ran the cooking oil for a few weeks due to the colder weather,i wont be running it again until i finish the oil preheater setup.