OT - painting a steel workbench

I'm not sure if this is off-topic, or even in the right place if it's allowed. I have a LR, it lives in the garage, I use a workbench to maintain bits of it.

I needed a workbench for rebuilding an LT230, and £5 in B&Q and some scrap wood from Ikea yielded a reasonable solution:

23102007145s.jpg

but I still hankered for something a little more sturdy. Trade-It gave me a solid steel bench this weekend (and TroddenMasses completed its journey to my garage. Now it needs a lick of paint - anything special recommended?

(Mods, if there isn't enough LR content here then I'm not offended if the thread is locked or recycled)

Hamerite is good, I painted mine with Red oxide (well whatever its called now as red oxide has been banned but they still call it red oxide <_< ) it sticks like sh*it to a blanket

But you might not want to paint the top of the work bench if you’re going to do any welding on it I just give the top of the bench a light spraying of WD40 to stop it rusting; it also helps to stop weld splatter sticking to it.

I've been using a 1000 x 2000 sheet of steel as a worktop, mainly because it's been sat on my wooden worktop as i've been cutting bits out of it to repair the RR.

When i build myself a metal work bench, i won't paint the surface. As has been said its very handy to weld on a bare metal top, I've often tacked work to the sheet to hold it whilst i line it up. It's not gone rusty, but then it's often had oil drip onto it from various oily things.

I'd go buy a 5l tin of chassis black to paint the underneath of the bench and then any bits of lr you may have off in future.

However for the top i would just wipe it with an oil soaked rag as i think the paint would chip/scratch making the thing look untidy.

Will.

Hi

try finding a piece of rubber, you know the kind they use for mudflaps on trucks, loadbay lining or things like that. get some thats 4-5 mm thick and the size of your workbench, this will last for very long, and protect the workbench surface very good, but make sure its fuel/oil resistent.

Anders

I wouldnt bother painting it to be honest. Its best unpainted for welding as you dont need to put you earth clamp on what your welding. I also sometimes weld things to my bench so that things stay straight when welding?

Surely paint is going to come off after not too long anyway when it gets scratched etc.

If your worried about it going rusty, it wont once it has a film of oil on it and is used fairly regularly