Bumper bolts

Bigant

Hi Guys

I am probably missing something obvious but whilst trying to change a damaged bumper on a friends series 3 I discovered that all four nuts have been rounded off.

Can anyone advise of the best way to get the old bumper off as I can't get a spanner to hold the nuts and they are pretty solid.

Cheers

Bigant

Your not missing any thing I know of!.

Very bad access to the nuts, once they have rounded off the only way I have fund is a chisel and a big hammer.

If the bumper is a write off then chopping that away will improve the access and you may then be able to grip the nut with mole grips but if it has corroded enough to round off then they aren't likely to grip the nut well enough for you to unbolt it..

If you have access to an air saw or an electric saw you may be able to get in with that and cut the nut and bolt an angle grinder just won't fit. Just cutting the heads off won't get you any where as you have probable figured out already since the bolt can,t go out downwards.

The recess that the nut is in makes it impossible to get things like a saw, angle gringer, etc in there. If you try to chisel the nut off you are likely to damage the dumb iron. You can just get the nose of a pair of mole grips in there. Best way is to heat the nut up with a blow torch - the hotter the better. This will break the rust off and allow the nut to be gripped and the bolt removed. Hammering a slightly smaller spanner on the nut will give you new grip, or if you have a MIG welder, try spot welding the nut to the dumb iron to hold it still, then chip the nut off once the bolt is removed.

Les.

Hi Guys

I am probably missing something obvious but whilst trying to change a damaged bumper on a friends series 3 I discovered that all four nuts have been rounded off.

Can anyone advise of the best way to get the old bumper off as I can't get a spanner to hold the nuts and they are pretty solid.

Cheers

Bigant

Hi Guys

A big thanks to everyone that has responded, there are some good idea's and suggestions as to how to get the bolts out.

Guess what I will be doing this weekend!

Regards

Bigant

I've not looked at an original bumper as mine has slightly modified spring hangers which change the way the bumper is mounted, but my bolts are accessible at the top, if it's the same can't you just grind the head off the bolt and let them drop through?

Or is it different on a standard setup?

I've not looked at an original bumper as mine has slightly modified spring hangers which change the way the bumper is mounted, but my bolts are accessible at the top, if it's the same can't you just grind the head off the bolt and let them drop through?

Or is it different on a standard setup?

Nope, there is metal right below the bolt.