Anybody Got A Scrapiron High Mount Bumper

BogMonster

or indeed anything similar which sits mostly above the chassis

could you take a pic looking up at about 45 deg from below and in front of the vehicle, of how the bracket is fabricated that the bumper to chassis bolts go through please?

I am still intermittently playing with sketches of a winch bumper but that's the bit I can't get right in my head :angry: they all end up looking like a dogs breakfast (though that will probably be what the finished product will look like anyway, if I ever get around to building it! :ph34r: )

All the "bought" bumpers are made of about 5mm steel, which I don't think is Milemarker proof (the 6mm mount I have bends slightly...I am heading towards probably 8mm for the main base plate that the winch bolts to), or are far too expensive, or are ugly, or more than one of the above :lol:

Options at the moment vary from a Lara-style "modified/strengthened Bikini mount" to starting again from scratch, which would have the advantage that I wouldn't have the winch sitting in the corner for six months waiting for its mount to be finished :unsure:

Raw materials on hand so far are a Bikini mount and a 90mmx90mm box section supporting leg off the side of a Portakabin - you can stack Portakabins several high so I figure that should be strong enough for the sticky out bits :lol:

Yes but Nigel your 90 weighs as much as Belgium with your "repair thicknesses" :lol: you are after all the person who used a 1 inch thick bit of plate to mount your cubby box on :rolleyes:

I know yours is 10mm plate, cos I asked you before. If I build it (inertia, lack of materials and lack of enthusiasm/ability regularly get the better of my projects...) I thought I'd split the difference between what I have at the moment (Bikini is 6mm) and what yours is :)

About 10 min in Paint Shop Pro, after a couple of "false starts" :lol: the clone brush is a wonderful invention

It's not that good I just realised some of your stepladder is in the picture which sort of gives away where I nicked the picture from :ph34r: I meant to go back and get rid of that but I got carried away with burying the front end a bit deeper :lol:

Lesson: Do not post pictures of yourself perched on top of your vehicle like an old turkey, or sooner or later they WILL be used for something :P

Anyway, dragging this thread kicking and screaming back on track, I have found a half decent picture of a ScrapIron tubular bumper in a magazine which answers that bit, the other bit I can't get right is how to "blend in" the bumper "wings" to the front plate without it looking like somebody sh@t on the page.

Anybody got any pictures of one like this (high-ish mount)? Note that it has to be one where the winch bolts through the bottom of the bumper, not through the front like an 8274, as the whole design has to be somewhat different with a bottom-mounting (oooer) winch.

Ta

I've been looking at bumpers recently, since mine works better as a plough than a winch mount. The "Technik" caught my £170 eye at Billing - click for picture although the galv isn't to my taste, it's nothing that can't be painted. I'd have to ask if he could include A-bar mounts too for me though.

Turbocharger, that's the sort of thing but I have box instead of tube for the ends. Also welding in a straight line is a big enough problem without trying to do it in circles :ph34r: .

Just a squared off box for the winch doesn't look as hideous as I thought so I might look at that - though I am not making mine cut into the front of the vehicle, I don't want to do that, also it will get in the way of the ****off big intercooler that will be going in there at some point once I feel like blowing my warranty to smithereens B)

Not a bad price either ... I'm almost tempted but for having to chop the front out, though it would be more like £300 by the time I got it here.

What's your MM mounted on at the moment? - I can't remember.

Oh if anybody is speaking to Allan you might mention the XP Powertoy that resizes images.....!

My MM's on a standard bumper that came with it, probably Paddocks or similar:

p1010160s.jpg

but I keep burying it into the floor so, combined with finally getting a job, I think it's time to splash out on a bumper for it (after a new transfer box...). I'm not sold on the galv finish of the Technik one but it's nothing that can't be sorted with paint.