More Disco 200TDi into Defender queries...

Orange

Having banged my head against the wall for what seems like an age trying to get to the bottom of my engine troubles, I think I have decided to cut my loses and throw an apparently spare 200TDi Discovery engine into the Defender. This may lead to an engine rebuild over time, but I need a fix sooner rather than later with the Jeep Club 7 Sisters event looming ever closer....

The Tech Archive and most other posts on here discuss using the whole of the Disco set-up; however, I am starting with a 200TDi Defender........

I know I can buy a Steve Parker down-pipe kit, so that’s not an issue. I do however have some questions about the plumbing side of things.... what do I need in the way of heater pipes, rad hoses and intercooler connections? Steve Parker also offers a hose kit. Am I best to buy this as it states that it fits to the Defender stuff? Or will I not use a load of the pipes? (Bear in mind that the hose kit is £140+) Are there “off-the-shelf” items that I can buy?

Next up are the power steering pipes.... Will the Defender ones fit, or will I need to use Disco ones and reposition the reservoir?

Also, the oil cooler connections. Are they the same between the Defender and Disco?

With all of these questions in mind, I hope to look under the bonnet of a Range Rover with a Disco 200TDi in it, tonight, but that can only answer a couple of the queries...

All help and any pointers much appreciated...especially if you think I’ve missed anything!!

Cheers

Adrian

as you have a 200Tdi defender anyway just use all the parts from that, the manifolds/turbo/oil filter head/exhaust/oil cooler hoses/power steering pump & bracket & alternator/ complete timing case will just swap over to the Discovery 200Tdi

Guest WALFY

I would agree with Ralph. Just unbolt all the bits from your Def and bolt to Disco engine. You're going to have to do the timing belt and idlers etc, not a lot more work to go the whole hog and ensure you are happy with the engine. If it goes pop at 7S you will curse yourself for not doing it. You've got about 4 weeks IIRC to get the work done.

or buy the parker conversion and stick the disco lump in and refurb the def 200 and sell that on or rwefit it.

use the oil cooler pipes off the def then they will fit, disco ones are too short.

Intercooler pipes, SP ones seem alot of ££ for what you get, for the top pipe i have used std LR top hoses in the past and just joined two together with jubilee pipes and a some pipe.

bottom hoses loads of different ways of doing it, one in Les article, one in mine, and another on the 'green machine' thread in members vehicles - that one i did using off the shelf LR intercooler pipes mainly from a td5.

PAS pipes will fit but not happily, you can reuse the def ones i think with the def pump although not sure that the back of the def pump outlet (IIRC) doesn't foul the alt therefore needing the disco pump to be fitted.

The disco lump has a bit more BHP in standard tune , I have a defender engine in my challenge truck and a disco lump in my defender and the disco conversion goes like stink compared to the other .

The p/s pipes will fit with a bit of adjustment , I made some intercooler pipes from some alloy tubes and borrowed a beading tool to put a grip ring on them , Used an air filter box from a montego perkins prima ,steve parker exhaust, You will have to either change the flywheel housing with the defender one or drill and tap new holes in the lower ring of bolts .

The rest is pretty straight foward .

Theres someone on ebay selling the equivalant down pipe to steve parker at half the price.eblag link

Bargain price got to worth a look

Mmmm, cheap enough but looks a bit agricultural compared to the parker front pipe.

Im just about to take the 200 disco manifolds off mine and fit 300tdi ones which I got from a breakers for a few quid more than the parker front pipe. Main reason for doing so is its perfect for a through cab raised air intske but everything (exhaust, intake and inter cooler pipes) seems to fit much nicer without the tight fiddly bends. Also its far less cluttered and cramped, Much easier for maintenance.

Mmmm, cheap enough but looks a bit agricultural compared to the parker front pipe.

Argricultural ! Its damn right neothandal , Horrible sharp sweep welded bends , No sorry but the Steve parker one is much better nice smooth formed bends .

Cheers for all the feedback.

JST has the same idea as me. Throw the Disco lump in with all ancillaries plus a SP downpipe, then rebuild the Defender engine at my leisure.

I've looked at the ebay alternative downpipe and came to the same conclusion as Steve and Jase. Just not good enough!! Even though this is only a short-term solution, I still want the engine to perform well..... And I can also resell the SP pipe when I'm done with it B)

More questions:

Do I take it the fittings on the power steering system are different between Disco and Defender? i.e if I leave the Defender pipes on the truck, will they fit the Disco pump other than being in different positions?

It has been mentioned that the flywheel casing will need to be swapped over - I assume this is because the bellhousings are different (the Disco one is longer)???

Are there any special tools required to remove the flywheel??

TIA........again!!

Adrian

Guest WALFY

Adrian

Use the Defender bellhousing, not sure on stud/bolt configuration. You may have to remove 1 stud? Ref the flywheel, undo the ring of big bolts in the centre and then put 2 of the clutch bolts back in and use them to wiggle the flywheel and it'll just fall off in your hands, hopefully. Remember it's bl**dy heavy heavy.