Please help me with fitting rear bench seats into a 110

My new (to me) rear bench seats have arrived and after removing the dog guard I tried fitting one but it is too long.

It will only fit if I fold down the middle outer seats down which is not quite how I imagined it would work. :blink:

The seats have a u shaped bracket at one end which looks as though it should fit to a similar bracket on the C pillar but it doesn't. I would have taken pictures but it was getting dark and a certain 'someone' was complaining about the time I spend on a certain vehicle. Will get the camera out tomorrow.

Would anyone be able to post some pictures of how it should all look and where bits fit? I have had a look at Microcat and while it shows some extra brackets that I don't have, it doesn't really help with the length. Failing that I might pop down to Reids and have a crawl about some of his stock and take photos.

thanks.

1. the seats are on the wrong side, the LH seat has the open jaw fixing [see pic 3 in the orange ring] at the rearmost corner & slides under the screw head/washer in the 1st picture ring in orange.

2 the forward end of the seat has a sticky up bit that should clip under the plate rivetted to the bodyside just to the rear of the side door & right below the trim panel the bit in the bright green ring on pic 2 & 3

3 the floor fixings for the 3 man bench fits at the orange rings with 2 spacer blocks in pic 3 forward end of seat & pic 1 rear end of seat, both have long nut plates that fit from below the panel.

in pic 2 - 2 of the holes in the pink circles are the dog guard fixing bracket holes, other 2 holes in the blue rings are not required, looks like the dog guard has been further back previously & these have been drilled to suit.

checked against my 110CSW. if you need any more info call me see PM heading your way :D my BB connections is down for a few days, so on dial up for a bit.

post-20-1213376120_thumb.jpg

post-20-1213376181_thumb.jpg

post-20-1213376203_thumb.jpg

Western,

thanks for your reply, appreciated.

The holes circled in blue in your Picture No.2 are where the previous owner bolted ply lining into the load area. The pink are as you say where the Dog guard was.

I have popped out to have another go and still no luck.

The bench back upright interferes with the middle seat side if I get the holes in the bench frame base to line up with the ones in the body.

If I push the bench right back against the side of the body, I can get the middle seat frame to miss the bench but then I can't put the middle seat back upright as the latching pin again comes up against the bench.

post-4939-1213393296_thumb.jpg

post-4939-1213392929_thumb.jpg

post-4939-1213392936_thumb.jpg

On top of all this, I had to unscrew the aerial on the roof to carry a whole load of wood from the church and now the wire that sits inside the roof has slipped and I can't get it back even with a bit of bent wire. How will I survive without Radio 4! Time to move the aerial elsewhere methinks.

looks like the rear middle outer seat latch is bent & it should be inside the side facing bench seat frame, [Pic 3]

is the rear top corner jaw clip under the screw/washer in the rear top corner & the hook on the forward upright hooked under the plate just behind the door frame ? if not the seat won't be secure & won't sit in the right place.

the side facing bench seat backrest fits so the outer centre seat backrest comes back & overlaps the side facing seat backrest,

hope that helps.

to retrieve the aerial cable you'll probably have to drop the headliner to get access to refix it.

I have worked out why they don't fit. Tony, your pictures gave me a clue as your seat brackets are different from mine.

It looks like I have some form of extension bracket on mine which sits further back. it is this that is interefering with the bench.

If you look at the attached comparison, you can see my bracket protrudes further back.

post-4939-1213540162_thumb.jpg

I think if I cut along the green line I can make them fit.

post-4939-1213540330_thumb.jpg

Not ideal and I will speak to Exmoor first to see if they have any ideas as I think it might be their extension brackets, and if so they must have a way round this.

mad

Some 110s were 10 seat and others 12 seat. This affects the location of the second row seat. I guess the one in question was a 10 seater but the rear seats are 12 seat ones. There was a reason why some were 10 and others 12, tax or license requirements at a guess.

Chris

10 seat 110's IIRC only had the individual rear side seats [like a 90CSW/XS has] but might be wrong, the brackets could be fitted incorrectly, my 2nd row seats are Trakkers hi-backs [the original version] with the extension kit & the bracket looks different to mine, will add pictures tomorrow :D

It's starting to make sense now:

Exmoor Trim - 2nd Row Extension Kit

* Suitable for 109/110 Station Wagons, with three individual second row seats (not suitable for 60/40 seats). - check

* Can be used on standard second row seats or our own classic high and low backs - check

* Cannot be used in a 110" when there is a 3 man bench seat fitted in the load area - damn

explate_large.jpg

I have 3 options:

1) Remove them as my kids are all fairly young but are growing at an alarming rate.

2) Take the angle grinder to the brackets (the bit that sticks out the back doesn't seem to be used but I assume is integral to the design)

3) Take the angle grinder to the bench upright. (should just need to cut a section out)

Now I know why this is not fitting I can work around it.

Cannot be used in a 110" when there is a 3 man bench seat fitted in the load area - damn

but you can, cos I did it to mine ----

Ah, that answer a lot of questions, I wasn't sure if it was those extension brackets fitted. you can either modify the brackets to allow the bench seats to fit or more drastic modify the benche seat frame by removing about 6 inches & re-welding them [wot I did] leave the cushions as they are as you can mkae the middle seats fit over them.

I'm going to take the brackets off for now, fit the new high back middle row seats and the new rear bench seats and when the kids get big enough to require the extensions, add them back in and probably cut the bench down in size.

Seems the easiest and quickest way to sort it for now.

One final question , Can I use A2 or A4 stainless steel fixings for the seatbelt mounts as I read that I should really use high tensile steel marked with an 8.8?

thanks.

Nothing is simple in my life... moving slightly on to fitting the new Exmoor trim high back seats and I am confused.

For simplicity sake I have removed the extension brackets from the seats and am attempting to fit the new Exmoor trim high back seat back to my frame.

The trouble is that the template supplied with the seats shows the hole for the locking pin being further back and higher than where mine is.

If I move it to this new position, the locking catch doesn't latch over the pin.

Before I email this picture to Exmoor, does anyone have any ideas?

l8o3m.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm finally getting the bench seats and seat belt mounts installed and as per usual am getting confused.

The parts that have me confused are Tube assembly (ALR8526) and Spacer (ALR3226).

The picture shows the Tube assembly sitting over the top and back of the cross member which is impossible, but looking at the parts I have, and test fitting, the tube sits in front of the cross member with the two plates sticking out the back butting up against the member.

post-4939-1216505020_thumb.jpg

ALR3226, I think sits inside the cross member to stop it from crushing in an accident. The two that I have (one for each side) are too wide to fit inside the cross member so I need to grind them down to fit.

post-4939-1216505035_thumb.png

have I got this all wrong or is the diagram incorrect?

thanks.

Looks to me that ALR3226 fits [slides] in to the cross member with the attached plate being a handle so it can be held in place or fitted/removed by holding it, I'd take some material off so it would be a snug fit in the cross member, I can't look at my 110 as it doesn't have rear bench seats or those seatbelt brackets.

Only just seen this post, I've sold off my rear bench seats as unuseable and fitted Exmoor trim seat extensions to the middle row which fitted no problem. Haven't got round to dumping the complicated and way over engineered seat belt bracketry yet but can confirm that the bracket bolts directly in front of the rear xmember. Can't believe someone is going to trouble of fitting it new! :blink: