Engine number on 200TDi - and chassis number on '83 110?

As title - I've just had the engine swapped in my '83 110 - but need to get the engine number for the V5 to get changed. I've searched - and found a reference to a 300Tdi number location - but there is nothing there on my (ex defender) 200tdi engine... After 10 minutes trawling through thge advanced search, I'm giving up and asking LOL.

Also need the location of where i'm meant to find the chassis number - again just to check all is OK with the V5.

There was a thread pretty recently with a really good picture, i would search all forums again and see if you can find it..

If you can't, here is my best effort at describing where it is.

Stand at the drivers side of the car by the front wheel. The engine number is stamped into the flat horizontal surface of the engine block almost directly under the foremost glow plug. If you have an a/c compressor fitted it will make seeing it very difficult. The numbers are not huge or deeply indented so you will have to clean the surface with a tooth brush and some WD40 or similar.

Good luck!!

chassis number in 2 locations

1. stamped into the vehicle ident plate rivetted to the brake pedal/servo unit under the bonnet

2. right front chassis rail outer vertical face between front bumper mount & steering box attachments, should be a 17 digit number starting with SALL

you'll need to wire brush the chassis to read it.

But this is a part of the chassis that doesn't rust that much.

I've bought and sold 80 Land Rovers 110 from 1983 and 1984 in the last two years, and only one of those had rustdamage in this location...

YEP.

200Tdi Defender engines start with 11L

200Tdi Discovery ------------------- 14L

300Tdi both models ------------------- 16L

Not quite correct:

200TDI Discovery _______________12L

200TDI Range Rover _____________14L

Engine number should be stamped on the block casting above the side cover plate where the fuel lift pump is fitted (same place as on a 300TDI)

FridaT

www.turner-engineering.co.uk

Well, I've searched, scraped, and poked - and there is no number on the engine - nor does it look like there ever was one... Very strange indeed...

This is from a 1990 defender TDi - if that makes a jot of difference! Could it be this has has a factory 're-man' engine? Did the factory re-manufactured units have engine numbers?

Well, I've searched, scraped, and poked - and there is no number on the engine - nor does it look like there ever was one... Very strange indeed...

This is from a 1990 defender TDi - if that makes a jot of difference! Could it be this has has a factory 're-man' engine? Did the factory re-manufactured units have engine numbers?

Factory remanufactured engines have a number stamped on them.

There is always a possibility that the cylinder block casting was new at some stage. It would not have an engine number stamped on it.

FridaT

www.turner-engineering.co.uk