Etch Primer/Wheel painting

Hi all, I'm respraying some 8 spokes and have been looking for etch primer, but can't find any at any of the DIY shops around. Where can you get it from? I bought Plastikote metal primer instead, will this be useless? The wheels are off the rims so I need to get a hard wearing finish that will not flake off under pressure washers, or stone chips. It's especially noticable as the rims used to be white underneath, though I am going to bare metal in a lot of places due to rust spots.

Is there any technique to doing wheels I should know of?

Cheers

Halfords used to sell etch prime in 400ml aerosol cans. Auto paint suppliers will sell it in 1-litre tins or spary cans.

Plasticote is 'ok', but you have to build up layers to get a decnt coat - no idea how tough it is though. Perhaps enamel would be better?

Mill Auto Supplies 84 Priory Bridge Road, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 1QA 01823 352555 ?

Les.

as les said plasticoat is ok but you need a lot of coats to get a decent finish when i left school i worked as an industrial paint sprayer/shotblaster if you have the time get them sandblasted and a decent 2 pack high build primer and go from there,many 2 packs will take cellulose without the need for a barcoat look at wj leigh paint manufactuers for some info on different epoxy paints

Thanks for the replies. I don't have time or know of facilities to get them shot blasted, a wire brush on a drill is the best I can do.

I won't bother with the plastikote then, I'll go and buy proper etch primer.

Cheers for the link Les but it doesn't work, I'll google the name.

All I could find in any shop I know of that might sell it was brush-on etch primer, from Mill Auto Supplies. I've near enough finished removing the paint from the wheels, and I started to apply the primer but it's bubbling around some areas, possibly where I couldn't remove all the old paint as it's too tight to get the wire brush into. I can't see any way of removing this paint, and I think it will ruin the finish of the wheels so I don't quite know how to remedy it.