turbo relocation.relocation.relocation.

kingdong

Hi all

just recently bought a disco 200 tdi engine and thinking of fitting defender manifolds as i will be using the landy for off roading and green laning which sometimes requires river crossings will i have to change the turbo or can i use the disco one and will it derate the engine.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.

I'd be surprised that the location would be a factor regarding water, afterall it is all sealed up. Perhaps I'm not thinking it through.

But to answer your question: on a SWB the disco turbo will not foul the chassis rail so no NEED to change it.

The Defender turbo manifold is less efficient, as the disco manifold allows air to flow better.

So it will down rate the engine, a bit.

Nothing to worry about as you can tweak the pump and stuff.

I'd stick with the disco as the defender manifolds are expensive to buy.

For a lwb the story is different, as the turbo ususally hits the chassis rail.

G.

cheers gazzer.

sorry i didn't realise that they are sealed units this is the first turbo engine i have ever owned and worked on so i am a bit of a novis when it comes to turbos its just that when i go off roading and there is lots of water it always seams to be the discos that suffer from sucking in water.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.

Yes, I know - it is a learning curve.

But think it through - air goes in the filter, down a pipe to the turbo, where it is pumped (compressed) into the engine, via the "intercooler" or charge cooler, which reduces the temperature or the air to allow more fuel to be added than otherwise.

Thus the main point of entry for air is the air filter. Any holes past this point allow unfiltered air in - or compressed air out. All these things are bad.

Ideally you would want to fit a snorkel, as this reduces the chance of a water ingress problem.

I believe there are other drains and sensors connected to the air system, which you would want to seal up.

On the subject of air filters, if you reuse the oil bath filter fron the series you could run the risk of oil being drawn into the engine - better to use the disco 200 paper filter. The housing just links up to the snorkel, just to make life easier.

Stick with the disco manifold, you'll have enough problems fitting intercolers and the like to go looking for more work!

All good fun.

G.

Hm, i think thats not correct, we just had the problem on fitting the 200 TDi on to a SWB 88" Series III that the tourbo got in the way of the steering wich loes strait over the chassi onto the steering box. There was no way in fitting the Discoturbo inlet and outlet manifold and keeping the standard steering. :ph34r:

Not a problem on a right hand drive vehicle as the steering is on the opposite side to the turbo, etc. LHD would probably need a Defender manifold set up.

Or a different steering box, which is the route my friend is taking.

Sorry,

I had assumed that as Kingdong was in Manchester he would have a RHD vehicle.

Obviously if you are in most other countries you have to put up with the steering wheel being fitted to the wrong side, good thing you also drive on the wrong side of the road, otherwise you'd be in a right mess.

Seriously. for LHD vehicles check out Teri Ann Wakeman and her website - she covers a lot of conversion ground, and, as she is based in North America she has had to overcome the "steering wheel on the wrong side" problem.

G.

Yes, I know - it is a learning curve.

But think it through - air goes in the filter, down a pipe to the turbo, where it is pumped (compressed) into the engine, via the "intercooler" or charge cooler, which reduces the temperature or the air to allow more fuel to be added than otherwise.

Thus the main point of entry for air is the air filter. Any holes past this point allow unfiltered air in - or compressed air out. All these things are bad.

Ideally you would want to fit a snorkel, as this reduces the chance of a water ingress problem.

I believe there are other drains and sensors connected to the air system, which you would want to seal up.

On the subject of air filters, if you reuse the oil bath filter fron the series you could run the risk of oil being drawn into the engine - better to use the disco 200 paper filter. The housing just links up to the snorkel, just to make life easier.

Stick with the disco manifold, you'll have enough problems fitting intercolers and the like to go looking for more work!

All good fun.

G.

Hi Gazzar

yeh i do have a snorkel fitted to the landy so would be using the snorkel with the tdi air filter.

cheers graham.

s11a swb bronze green.