Opinions please (Its not daft, in vain!!)

Hello people,

Something has been bugging me for a while now, I placed a second spare wheel on my bonnet, There are a few things Im unsure of, Firstly It was meant as kind of an enhancement but a few defender drivers have quiet blunty said it looks pants, As i dont really need and Im not sure of how it looks would you guys please tell me your opinions?

Secondly as fuel is so expensive and the defenders used a lot would this effect fuel consumption??

Thirdly my tyres are 265 75 16, And my spares are still the original 205s, In the event of a puncture would this cause damage or increased wear to the axles etc on a long run home?? Its not a vital topic but Id love to hear what some of you think.

Kindest regards to all tris :rolleyes:

post-8855-1214089801_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1214089615_thumb.jpg

Well it wont be helping the aerodynamics, mine is only on the bonnet as its a pick up and i need all the load bay and theres no way its going on the roof rack.

As for looks well i'm not too bothered myself, it bugs me that its not the same size/tread/wheel as the 4 on it but its only tempary (honest :rolleyes:)

Maybe it would look better with a cover on the spare??

Just my 2p worth.

Will.

letsgetdirty,

A spare wheel on the bonnet can be a pain for a couple of reasons in my opinion.

They block the view immediately in front of you, not a problem on the road where you are looking ahead but off road a problem because that's the bit you need to see.

Secondly, they make the bonnet flippin' heavy and a bit of an ordeal to open.

They do look a bit pants to me but it's a subjective thing ;)

Don't use vastly different sized tyres (like 205s and 265s) on your Landy (apologies to MOG) unless you want the diff to have a very short life. You'll need to buy a spare of the correct size.

HTH

Mo

Thanks for that so far fellas,

It is bloomin heavy, The bonnet creaks and groans every time its opened to, Im glad I found out about the damage that could be done MO , And muddy it does bug me its a different size to, But a cover is a good idea. Hmmmm think I can see where this is going.

tris

I'd buy something the right size because that looks a bit daft IMHO. I don't think a proper spare on the bonnet looks bad or affects the aerodynamics / MPG significantly. It will block your view off-road a bit and make the bonnet heavy to open, plus the bigger/heavier the tyre the more fun it is lifting it down, which is why I don't keep my spare up there anymore :(

Hello people,

Something has been bugging me for a while now, I placed a second spare wheel on my bonnet, There are a few things Im unsure of, Firstly It was meant as kind of an enhancement but a few defender drivers have quiet blunty said it looks pants, As i dont really need and Im not sure of how it looks would you guys please tell me your opinions?

Secondly as fuel is so expensive and the defenders used a lot would this effect fuel consumption??

Thirdly my tyres are 265 75 16, And my spares are still the original 205s, In the event of a puncture would this cause damage or increased wear to the axles etc on a long run home?? Its not a vital topic but Id love to hear what some of you think.

Kindest regards to all tris :rolleyes:

PUT THE GRILL BACK ON,AND A COVER ON THE WHEEL,VERY SMART.I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT FUEL CONSUMPTION,YOUV'E GOT SO MANY TOYS HANGING OFF IT NOW,I DON'T THINK THE WHEEL WILL MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE. :lol:post-8855-1214089801_thumb.jpg

post-8855-1214089615_thumb.jpg

Guest wunntenn

The spare wheel on the bonnet creates a vortex behind it when you are driving which makes the windscreen wash water go everywhere except the windscreen so I wouldn't worry too much about what it looks like, just enjoy it for the moment because come winter you're going to run into something that you didnt see and demolish the front because your windscreen was covered in crud. :-)

what does imho mean tho :ph34r:

In My Humble Opinion

The windscreen washer thing is easily solved by either fitting wiper-mounted jets, or the poor man's version - run the washer tube up the arm, block the end and make some <1mm holes that point screenwards with a pokey thing. I used some .8mm welding wire heated with a lighter last time, that was a field fix though.