Boost gauge fitting

freeagent

has anyone fitted a boost gauge to a 300Tdi disco?

I'd like to know how to plumb it in under the bonnet...

its a TIM gauge, and came with a length of hose, a T piece, and a small fitting....

can I just tap a hole in the inlet manifold, and run it straight out of there?

Guest diesel_jim

I drilled a hole in the pipe that goes from the top of the intercooler to the inlet manifold and put the fitting in there, but i think the proper method is the small pipe that runs to the waste gate actuator.

has anyone fitted a boost gauge to a 300Tdi disco?

I'd like to know how to plumb it in under the bonnet...

its a TIM gauge, and came with a length of hose, a T piece, and a small fitting....

can I just tap a hole in the inlet manifold, and run it straight out of there?

Where'd ya get it from ?

Guest noggy

yeah, the normal way is to cut the small pipe to the waste gate actuator and put the 'T' piece in.

But then why would you get the fitting in the kit aswell?

the choice is yours!

'T'ing the small pipe seems a hell of a lot easier to me!

I went for fitting in the inlet manifold as it shows what boost the engine is seeing, after the losses through the pipe work intercooler etc, rather than the boost the turbo is producing at it's outlet.

I also have my waste gate actuation pipe coming from the inlet manifold to help counter some of the losses in the system.

Editted to add photo's

This is where I drilled and tapped mine originally. This pipe now operates the wastegate.

Boostpipeandbreather001.jpg

I then fitted the electronic transducer for my new boost gauge in the back end of the inlet manifold.

It's the far one. the near one is a leftover from the EDC system and I think it is for inlet temperature.

egt004.jpg

HTH.

This is what i did under the bonnet

DSCN3467800x600.jpg

I know I know there's oil on there too but its under control i have a genuine replacement for the faulty gasket i just gotta fit it!

Its a stainless steel 'T' piece you see there 6mmOD tube that fits a treat.

and i extended the red line you see there(OD6mm ID4mm like this but free! :D) through the bulkhead behind the steering collumn across and up and out through the radio vents which is where these sit

Photo032800x600.jpg

Guest diesel_jim

Thinking about it (so i'm already in dangerous terratory).....

would there be any pressure difference between, say, directly next to the turbo outlet, and the inlet manifold?

surely as the system (pipes, intercooler etc) consists of closed sealed pipwork, any pressure increase would read as the same where ever you took the reading from? :unsure::unsure:

would there be any pressure difference between, say, directly next to the turbo outlet, and the inlet manifold?

surely as the system (pipes, intercooler etc) consists of closed sealed pipwork, any pressure increase would read as the same where ever you took the reading from? :unsure::unsure:

To be honest Jim, I convinced my self it made a difference but i'm not sure it does. Also when I did mine originally it still had EDC (which I didn't fully understand) so didn't have the pipe running across to the injection pump.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I think i'll probably put the T piece in the small hose for now, and see how it goes.

Next problem is how to get 'tother end of the small hose through the bulkhead and up on to the dash...

Haven't decided where to pu the gauge yet... A-pillar looks good but might be a bugger to get the hose up there...

I got mine from McNally in the US of A via dave@mcnallyelectronics.com

Very quick to reply and despatch.

One advantage of this system is that you put a transducer on the manifold and then just run wires to the guage.

Haven't decided where to pu the gauge yet... A-pillar looks good but might be a bugger to get the hose up there...

What about above the radio just set back behind the coin tray holder thingy?

thats were i put mine that way you have a clear route (for small pipes and access to both switched and none switched 12v supplies) to behind the radio from anywhere on the car.

And the only holes that need to be made are with some self tap screws or nice stainless bolts if you have hands like a small child to fit in through the radio slot for the nuts. :o

However you will, i think need an additional 90 deg elbow to get the line into the back of the dial as they leave you very little room back there.

Dougie

What about above the radio just set back behind the coin tray holder thingy?

thats were i put mine that way you have a clear route (for small pipes and access to both switched and none switched 12v supplies) to behind the radio from anywhere on the car.

And the only holes that need to be made are with some self tap screws or nice stainless bolts if you have hands like a small child to fit in through the radio slot for the nuts. :o

However you will, i think need an additional 90 deg elbow to get the line into the back of the dial as they leave you very little room back there.

Dougie

I've thought about putting it up there, only snag is i've already got a CB and 2 GPS units up there, so its getting a bit cramped!

Any pointers to a ready-made power supply up there? ideally I want the back-light to come on with the rest of my dash illumination....

Mighty Purty......

Where did you get them from and if you dont mind me asking how much?

Cheers

G :)

E-blag is your best bet i found think i paid about £70 for the three gauges and the mount inc postage but these look the biz with a choice of different gauges no messing about getting different gauges off different suppliers like me delivered to your door for no less than 56 of your hard earned english pounds ;)

Yes, at full boost, there is always some pressure drop across the intercooler, probably a couple psi, but I have heard of someone, non-Rover, loosing 10 psi with a lot of boost and too small an intercooler.