Door Repair

Hi alll,

Soon, I am planning on repairing my front doors as they are both badly rotten. I plan to remove the skin, replace the bottom panel with a repair section and fit a new skin along with new hinges, bolts etc.

How differcult is it to fit a new door skin? The current ones have bad alloy corrosion.

Where's the best place to get new skins from should I go down that road? Most places I've found that sell them, do not do delivery and are miles from me for collection (I'm in south Oxfordshire). Anyone know of a supplier in my region?

Mark

• 1 month later...

Thanks Chris.

I did come across Simonites before, but soon forgot about them as I have seen the skins elsewhere for less. What I failed to notice is they say every item is available mail order. Looks like it would be cheaper to pay the extra through these guys though, than it would be taking the V8 somewhere miles away to pick up some skins.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Right, finally got my arse into gear... almost ;) and will be attempting this soon.

I have a plan, and I'd like it very much if anybody could give me their thoughts/suggestions B)

The plan goes something like this:

1) Remove doors and strip down to just the frames. Cut out all rotten pieces and weld in nice shiney new repair section(s).

2) Remove all traces of dirt, paint, ect and coat the frames in this

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?pro...stSubcat=Others

Then a coat of barrier paint, still trying to work out if this would be ok

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Isopon-Barcoat-Bar-C...A1%7C240%3A1318

Then top coat of paint.

3) Fit new skins applying this to the mating faces of the frame

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/polyurethane-ad...-poly-481-p.asp

4) Coat new skins with U Pol Acid 8 Etch Primer

5) Apply Waxoyl or Dinitrol 3125 to the insides of the door frame.

5) Re-assemble doors, and re-fit with new hinges and bolts.

I still have a few questions though,

Anyone used Zinga before? Ideally I'd like to get the frames galvanised but that would take time and I want to get the doors back on asap as it's a daily driver.

Any one know if Barcoat would be suitable (Frost states a water based barrier paint should be used on top of Zinga)?

Should I spray the insides of the skins with Etch Primer?

Is it worth using Dinitrol, is it any good?

Enough of my rambling, over to you guys...

Mark