Chassis Paint and Waxoyl

Se7enUp

I'm hoping to collect my new (to me) 90 next week.

When I originally went to look at it, I spent some time underneath looking for bad bits (didn't find any :D )

It's not been off road much and the chassis seems to be in a good clean overall condition apart from a couple of light patches of surface rust.

I'd like to maybe repaint these bits and possibly overpaint the rest of the chassis before Waxoyling it.

Can anyone recomment what paint to use?

I've seen "chassis black" for sale and in the past have used POR15 with mixed results.

Alternatively, would an option be to just clean off the rust and then just (black) Wayoyl the chassis without painting it?

One thing worth remembering is that unless you have a bare chassis sat there in front of you it's very, very, very (ie nigh on impossible) to paint the whole thing when it's got a body, engine, transmission, axles etc bolted to it. I would thoroughly clean it, leave it to dry and then get a liberal coat of Waxoyl on it. While you are at it don't Forget the bulkhead, doorframes and all the other bits that tinworm like.

I have used an angle grinder with a wire brush attachment (if rust is not too bad, just a sanding disk is ok) then hammerite smooth (black) 2 coats (i think it has a five year Gtee) and it appears to be ok.

there may be better products, i'm not sure tbh, but it is easy to get hold of from B&Q etc and about £50 for 10ltrs (enough for the whole chassis) or small pots for £10 ish.

I use ordinary zinc rich primer from my local body shop suppliers, it's grey, but they stick some black pigment in it for me for nowt. I then thin it down with cheap standard thinners, about 50/50. soaks right into the surface and all the nooks and crannies. 2 or 3 coats then finish off with standard chassis black.

I think I'm going to use this companies stuff. www.bilthamber.com Looks good to me, plus they are only 5 or 6 miles away. :P

Unfortunately they don't have a trade counter, so the only way to buy their merchandise apparently is by mail order. I want some of their stuff too and I live 10 minutes away from them but they said they have no facility for collecting orders in person.

Jon.