MPG loss

Typsey

Coupled with the problems I have had recently with the landy(cooling), she has been returning aroudn 27 mpg which is around 10% less than normal.

This has been going on for some time now but I haven't noticed any difference in engine noise, roughness or pulling power. She seems to be driving fine, but, the fuel lines from pump to injectors are smelling quite a lot of diesel. Cannot remember if this has always been the case, but she's in for servicing on Thursday and was wondering if there is a modified line kit available or if I should just have the LR ones replaced with like?

Any ideas?

Typsey, get the temp problem sorted first as that can badly affect mpg.

Temp problem now appears sorted. The mpg loss had already started well before the water pump failed.

There was a little bit of diesel (i think) apparent of the road yesterday morning after a night of being parked up.

Most common source of leakage is the leak-off pipes rather than the actual metal injector pipes - those often need changing on a 300Tdi, and on a 200Tdi the washers on the top of the injectors leak. But I don't know about it affecting MPG by that much

• 1 month later...

Just before I headed up into Scotland, I saw a small drip coming off the gear box, whilst I was down there changing the oil.

At first I thought the worst, but the next day when I had some time to investigate, I noticed the smell of diesel. I checked over the whole system, but didn't notice any obvious leaks.

Started the engine up, then looked again, and saw small bubbles coming out of the injector leak off pipes.

Straight round to Halfrauds (my independent dealer shuts at 2pm on a Sunday) and to my supprise they actually hard some replacement hose which didn't cost the earth!

A bit annoying really as I did just have it in for service and they couldn't find the problem!

MPG back up to 30+ which is lovely!

Happy days.

I think you'll find a DIY repair won't last too long - it never seems to whenever I have seen somebody do it anyway! - so it might pay to obtain and fit a proper leakoff pipe before it goes again. It's another thing where genuine ones are a lot better than cheapo ones as well - the cheapo ones sometimes have the pipe blow off the unions, where the genuine ones have a proper lip that the pipes push over on each union to hold it securely.

I think you'll find a DIY repair won't last too long - it never seems to whenever I have seen somebody do it anyway! - so it might pay to obtain and fit a proper leakoff pipe before it goes again. It's another thing where genuine ones are a lot better than cheapo ones as well - the cheapo ones sometimes have the pipe blow off the unions, where the genuine ones have a proper lip that the pipes push over on each union to hold it securely.

Will check this out ASAP with local dealer. Thanks a lot :D

• 3 years later...