steel modulars wont fit

hello. im new to the forum and to defender 90s. having bought a 1988 defender 90 fitted with the original steels fitted i thought id upgrade to some new steel

mods for both looks and practability(old steels have inner tubes). i brought wheels from mailorder 4x4 in plymouth.

trying to fit new wheels was a problem :( the old tapered wheel nuts were to big to fit the stud holes on new wheels. therefore tightening on the wheel rather than the hub. after talking to mailorder4x4 on the phone (who have been excellent) and after discussing stud sizes, and all posible reasons were bamboozled to why they dont fit. this is the only case he has heard of after 27 years of selling landy parts!?

i have now ordered new wheel nuts and hope this will be the solution.

has any 1 out there heard of this before? fresh advice would be realy realy appreciated.

the old tapered wheel nuts were to big to fit the stud holes on new wheels. therefore tightening on the wheel rather than the hub.

Um, that is what they do? The wheel is centred on the studs, not the hub centre and the weight of the car is borne on the studs and the friction between the wheel and the hub. The wheel nuts should not go right through the wheels and should not contact the hub.

Chris

I had a similar problem going from aftermarket alloys back to original LR Steel rims. The alloy nuts had a collar that actually fitted through the hole in the alloy it span on the nut as a kind of fixed washer but as GBMUD points out the nut should clamp the wheel to the hub not bottom out on the hub itself.

when I changed to the original steel rims I had to get a set of original steel nuts with the rounded ends which match up with the dished parts of the steel wheel (sorry for the lack of technical language - blame the kronenburg :blink: )

It sounds like you have the same problem - only in reverse! I found original LR nuts (ooh-er) on e-bay - don't know whether they would fit your modulars but your in the right place to find out ;) I've learnt loads since joining up and am getting bolder by the day. What I once thought was a complicated piece of machinery turns out to be a rusty meccano kit!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

D.

only thing I can think of is the stud holes in the new wheels nave plate are the wrong size for a 90/110.

measure the stud holes on the wheels you removed & compare with the new wheels. some photo's would help too.

I'm glad this thread is here as I had completely forgotten I would need something to keep my new disco steel rims bolted to the hubs. :rolleyes:

Without trying to hijack the thread, can I just check that the nuts I need are:

Part Number : NTC 7396

"These nuts are 1and 1/16th AF (that's 27mm) and are 3/4" deep"

as seen here:

http://tinyurl.com/5oslxk

It is just Microcat says they should be part 90577473, Nut wheel retention, 16mm steel wheel.

as usual, confused.

thanks.

NTC7396 is correct for Disco steel wheels, these nuts probably have a different seating angle [that mates with the wheel] to the existing Defender nuts, your existing studs are the same on Discovery vehicles, so no need to swap them.

if your chassis number is after VA126657 then your nuts :wacko: are the same as the Discovery ones :i-m_so_happy:

the old tapered wheel nuts were to big to fit the stud holes on new wheels. therefore tightening on the wheel rather than the hub. after talking to mailorder4x4 on the phone (who have been excellent) and after discussing stud sizes, and all posible reasons were bamboozled to why they dont fit. this is the only case he has heard of after 27 years of selling landy parts!?

i have now ordered new wheel nuts and hope this will be the solution.

has any 1 out there heard of this before? fresh advice would be realy realy appreciated.

Morning gresh 740. Welcome to the forum.

The nut is supposed to tighten onto the wheel, thus clamping it to the hub, the taper centralizing the wheel about the stud.

The nuts on your original steel wheels will fit your new wheels (providing of course that they were the correct ones)

As GBMUD has said, if you can post a picture for us we might better be able to help.

Hope that helps :)

Mo

Edited to add an after thought, are you sure that both sets of rims you have are steel ?