Cheap Disco LT77's

MogLite

A mate of mine has got an early Disco 200tdi.

Its just blown the gearbox - sounds like a mainshaft :(

The car only owes him £1100 so he's reluctant to spend 1/2 as much again on a gearbox.

Ashcrofts obviously have a good reputation, and their prices are fair in my opinion, but he is looking for a cheaper option.

Anyone tried a box from these people TM Transmissions

I know you get what you pay for, but he is not expecting to get 100,000 out of the rest of the car, so a lesser spec box will be fine.

Whats the book time for changing a box ? 'bout 5 hours ?

Or anyone got a good 2nd hand one, either close to me in Hampshire, or to him in Boston Lincs ?

A scrapyard is going to charge £200-250 for a gearbox, so £345 isn't too bad.

4-5 hours work to do the job I reckon.

Some reconditioners say that the exchange agreement is only if your old unit can be repaired. Maybe a snapped mainshaft puts it outside that category, (could be a surcharge?)

Les. :)

So your smug you picked up that 2nd hand box for £250.

You spend say 4-5 hours fitting it, and alls well on the test drive.

then, unexpectedly some days weeks months later it goes "Ker bang"

So at this point what do you wished you had really done.

what right at this point with the knowledger of whats about tocome would you pay for the magic genie to wave a magic wnad and all the probs go away ?.............

Don't risk so much time fitting an unknown unit, you WILL regret it, its just a matter of time and when ?

Nige

Don't risk so much time fitting an unknown unit, you WILL regret it, its just a matter of time and when ?

I can't quite agree with that statement Nige. It's more likely that a used component will fail at some time, but second hand parts is a huge business, and you can buy perfectly good parts. Unfortunately people sometimes have no other choice.

Les. :)