sedimentor help

Boro

1995 300 tdi, went to drain off the fuel sedimentor this afternoon along with stripping down the sedimentor to clean it (only had the vehicle a short time so im going through everything), well to start with the drain plug snapped off, not a problem had a new one to go in, next one the pipes in and out of it where very very tight and the spanner was starting to slip so i ended up having to loosen off the pipes with a pair of molegrips done up really tight (did the job and didnt slip) and finishing off with the spanner but the 2 unions on the ends of the fuel pipes where it attaches to the sedimentor will not rotate freely on the pipes, the one on the pipe that leads to the engine bay is stuck fast on the pipe and the other is very very tight but will just about move, the sedimentor is off and has been cleaned and overhauled with new seals but any suggestions for freeing the pipe unions off as it would make getting them back on and not twisted a heck of a lot easier! been soaking in plus gas for hours not but no luck <_<

Yes, just that the haynes said to remove and raise the fuel feed so thats what i did as i didnt fancy losing a tank of fuel over the floor, all done now anyway

I think the Haynes book was being a bit over-cautious... i've cleaned mine out twice, by removing just the top bolt... and not lost any diesel...

good to hear you got it fixed. keep an eye on it though, as they can leak from that O-rin, once they've been disturbed...

The o ring on the bolt? its been replaced as have the seals ;) got the fuel filter changed as well as repairing the drivers window winder mechanism and fitting a new seal for the glass so not a bad day, non cat downpipe went on yesterday as well as the osr stub axle, hub, disc, pads and bearings etc (all new) so things are moving, hopefully the hub for the nsr will be here tomorrow so i can get it back on the road!

The o ring on the bolt? its been replaced as have the seals ;) got the fuel filter changed as well as repairing the drivers window winder mechanism and fitting a new seal for the glass so not a bad day, non cat downpipe went on yesterday as well as the osr stub axle, hub, disc, pads and bearings etc (all new) so things are moving, hopefully the hub for the nsr will be here tomorrow so i can get it back on the road!

Hi, glad to hear you have sorted out your sedimentor, my local dealer (not main dealer) say,s the amount of trouble they can cause it is worth removing it, any ideas?

Hi, glad to hear you have sorted out your sedimentor, my local dealer (not main dealer) say,s the amount of trouble they can cause it is worth removing it, any ideas?

Have always removed them on my trucks, never had any problems.

Regards

Keith

• 2 months later...
Have always removed them on my trucks, never had any problems.

Regards

Keith

Hi all,

If you dont have a pit / lift - is there a jacking / safety technique to get at this Sedimentor as i have asked my garage to do it twice now and they say they have dont it but there is no evidence that its been touched at all and i cant see the point of not cleaning it out if the fuel filter is being replaced on service.

What are all the sealing ring part numbers/ does anyone have a drawing?

Thanks

Andy

I did my sedimentor a couple of times,

I just jacked the rear wheel on that side up slightly (didn't take wheel off ground) just to give me a bit of extra space - it can be done without jacking if your are slim enough.

It's actually in quite an open spot so you can sort of lean up a bit to see the bolt (works your stomach muscles out well!)

I never bothered with new seals - and it never leaked but they're only cheap so worth replacing, but if you don't then just keep an eye on it

Wear old clothes as you'll get a bit of diesel on you.

I just undid the 11mm bolt on top, never touched the fuel pipes

I was thinking of junking it on my '96 330 TDi, but as I had a spare one lying about I just renewed it instead - the new one is the clear bowl type so I can see whats going on in there - no point disturbing the seals if theres no need to eh?

The pipes were a right PITA and I've changed the set-up a little using steel pipes into the sedimentor with the old pipes joined to them with short lengths of rubber fuel hose - its increased the number of likely leak points but it means I can get the pipes off the sedimentor nice and easy if I need to now rather than resorting to the mole-grips like I had to to get the plastic pipes off!

Guest DiscoTD4

I removed the bowl on mine the other week by undoing the bolt at the top as mentioned. I didn't disturb the fuel lines and there was no siphoning of fuel even though the tank was 3/4 full.

I did get a very wet arm though, it's amazing how much fuel is contained in the bowl... :lol: