After Market Alarms

When I bought my 110 300 tdi Defender five years ago the factory fitted alarm wasn't working (no surprises there!!) and although I had a bit of cash in reserve to get a "proper" alarm, I couldn't resist a new old stock Linwood alarm at Chapel Market for the princely sum of a tenner!! :rolleyes:

The Linwood alarm had no remote control and instead had a key operated switch (which I mounted between the rear wiper switch and the fag lighter) and an adjustable delay before the alarm triggered.

All went well until the other day when the key switch seized and I couldn't turn the flamin' thing off! Half deafened I managed to remove the wires and then fit a new switch. The trouble is that the alarm now makes a noise like a squeaky toy! I guess the alarm is like Monty Python's proverbial parrot and is "tired and sha%%ed out after a long squawk!!!" :unsure:

So as the title says any recommendations for a new alarm? I want something simple to install and I don't want an immobiliser as I have a "Stop Lock" for the steering wheel. The local shops only sell ultra cheap ones or all singing all dancing models for mega bucks. Halfrauds only had one model in stock and that was a Sparkrite (a make which has a bad reputation and even the guy in Halfords advised against buying it!)

Steve

Toad AI606

Mine came with a Thatcham Cat1 cert which got me 15% off my insurance.

Can be plugged into aftermarket remote central locking as well + has more features than you can shake a stick at.

And best of all, so far not one issue with it.

I also fitted a Toad AI606 (to a suzuki jimny!). I bought it from ebay (new) - as they're not meant to be available privately as they're supposed to be fitted by 'experts' :blink: . You can buy them new for about £115 inc p+p as opposed to £230 fitted by 'experts'.

Worked a charm and totally reliable. It was quite complicated cos I had to wire it in to do the central locking etc, but on a landrover should be easy.

Well, after much searching on the net, ringing around and visiting umpteen car spares shops, I finally bought a Viper 350HV for £69.99

It was a bit of a swine to wire in! The connections were not that complicated, it was really a matter of (1) passing umpteen wires through the bulkhead (I mounted the alarm in the wing where the original alarm was fitted) (2) trying to understand the instructions - what the heck does "Connect the H1/4 wire to the optional domelight supervision relay......... mean??? :huh:

Yeah I know a dome light is Americanese for an interior light, but why would it need supervising and at what age would it be OK to let it go out and about by itself? <_<

I left the starter motor immobiliser out as I couldn't figure out which wire to connect to what and thought it best to leave that bit to somebody who understands autoelectrickery. Anyway so all (well most anyway) wires connected and it works fine except that the starter motor relay just clicks and the motor does not do anything! :wacko:

Oh joy of joys, I seem to have disconnected a wire beneath the dash! :(:unsure::angry:

I can find the wire from the ignition key and it terminates in a spade end connector. Can I find (through peeking through the speaker aperture and the switch panel) the wire to which it connects? Can I Donald Duck! :blink::angry::angry2:

I think the easiest way out of it is to fix a new section of cable from the connector in the dash through to the motor and naturally I do not have a suitable bit of heavy gauge cable in stock!!!

Oh well, should be up and running tomorrow if I can get a bit of cable at lunchtime or on the way home from work!

Steve

Good question Ralph! I seem to recall it was yellow with a red trace, but I'd better take out the speaker (again!) to be sure.

The wire to which it connects is undoubtedly on the cab side of the bulkhead and probably up high somewhere where i can't see......

I guess its a question of how much time/effort it's worth stripping down the dash etc to get to the missing wire or whether to go for the route of inserting a new length of wire.

Steve

Could be Red/yellow trace if it is, then thats rear fog light probably come off back of switch or the rear fog relay.

remove the 2 screws for the 3 switch panel between the drivers door & steering column, should be easy to see/get it back on.

The wire runs (or should do!!) from the ignition switch to the starter motor. I can see the section of wire from the ign switch to where it terminates in a spade end conector.

My problem is I can't find the wire that connects to the starter - it is hidden by the myriad of other wires inckuding all the wires for the new alarm!

Steve