Fuel Pump

max-ie

Hi, I've installed a RR 3.5 EFi engine into my Defender. The fuel pump is in the RR tank which i'm not using. Does the EFI engine require a specific kind of fuel pump to make it work properly.

Cheers

Max

Hi, I've installed a RR 3.5 EFi engine into my Defender. The fuel pump is in the RR tank which i'm not using. Does the EFI engine require a specific kind of fuel pump to make it work properly.

Cheers

Max

yes mate a high pressure one readily available on ebay

The fuel pressure regulator drops it to the correct pressure, your pump needs to be able to supply 50psi+ to give a rough figure, the system usually runs closer to 37. Most EFi pumps, apart from the in-tank ones, will not be happy sucking fuel up, so bear that in mind.

I used the RR EFI Pump and made it fit into my 90 Low pressure V8 Carb type pump :)

Use the top half of the 90 pump,

and the bottom half off the EFI Pump,

two small bolts fix it together 2 wires and a bit of hose,

takes about 15 mins to swap the bits around fits straight in the 90s tank then and the wires are as std as its the 90 top bit :)

Job Done

Nige

Oh....

And if you don't use a RR pump (which are avaialable cheap as chips sh - I normally pay £5-£10 and carry a base with me as a "Spare" - and it all matches the system etc) then be very aware that these are "Pusher" pumps, and live "In Tank"

Many non genuine type pumps do not like having to "Lift" fuel up out of tanks and die as a result

I guess I am a fan of 'KISS' principle - my V8 4.5 race JED Engine runs a Std RR Pump, Std PRV and it flows just fine :)

Nige

Right, i'm now confused. I was running an old 1985 2.25 petrol engine with a mechanical fuel pump so don't have any pump at the moment. I've taken the electric in tank pump out of the range rover tank and it won't fit onto the defender tank. I was going to just buy an electric fuel pump and plumb it to the engine with a filter prior to the pump to stop bits getting in the pump. I don't really understand what i have to do now, i could do with someone with considerably better knowledge than me to just explaining what i have to buy and how to fit it all. Sorry for appearing extremely thick.

Cheers

Max

addit: I've just read the reply from Hybrid and now understand that i have to buy a 90 in tank electric pump and add the bottom half of the RR pump to make it work. Is this correct??

Max

Max, a further 2 options

1 - there is a defender in tank pump on fleabay for £105, you will need a high pressure pipe and a return as well as an efi fuel filter.

2 - plumb a low pressure pump in the engine bay, then a high pressure pump, then an efi fuel filter

Try not to use any jubillee clip connections in the high pressure area, always use efi hose for high pressure, and proper fuel hose for the rest. Make sure all pipes are clipped every 6" or so. Virtually any 2 litre fuel pump will do, I think a second hand bosch is better than a new aftermarket pump.

I've just read the reply from Hybrid and now understand that i have to buy a 90 in tank electric pump and add the bottom half of the RR pump to make it work. Is this correct??

Max

Yep

BUT It may also be the same top mounting on any 90 - I don't know that but I used the top half (which you see screwed to the top on the tank when fitted, along with the bottom half of a RR EFI Tank pump :)

Nige

Max, a further 2 options

1 - there is a defender in tank pump on fleabay for £105, you will need a high pressure pipe and a return as well as an efi fuel filter.

2 - plumb a low pressure pump in the engine bay, then a high pressure pump, then an efi fuel filter

Try not to use any jubillee clip connections in the high pressure area, always use efi hose for high pressure, and proper fuel hose for the rest. Make sure all pipes are clipped every 6" or so. Virtually any 2 litre fuel pump will do, I think a second hand bosch is better than a new aftermarket pump.

Why on earth would you need a Low pressure pump in the engine bay ?

On mine I have

The mixed Low pressure top bolted to HP Bottom (replacing low pressure bottom)

Pipe comes from the pump output into a EFI Filter (canister sort) from canister to input to fuel rail

Fuel rail exits to PRV from PRV to return pipe to tank

2 Wires from Low pressure pump top = earth and power

"low pressure pump ?????"

Nige :blink:

Your options are:

1: In-tank high-pressure pump, as suggested by Nige

2: In-tank low-pressure pump feeding an inline high-pressure pump

3: External low-pressure lift pump (a facet would do) feeding an inline high-pressure pump

4: External high-pressure pump that doesn't mind lifting fuel - most EFI pumps are pushers, not suckers, and will burn out very quickly if you make them lift fuel from the tank. Bull Bar Cowboy knows the difference, I can't remember which pump he said to use though.

You will need a return-to-tank from the fuel pressure regulator. If you're feeding one pump into another, you may find a swirl pot handy to separate air/vapour out before it goes into the EFi pump.

seems a lot of ideas and quite a bit of confusion i recently fitted a 3.9 hot wire system to a ford pop dragster and used a hi pressure pump which was a facet red top pump which has been poo poo'd as not man enough well thats odd a the car in question went do the pod strip witha sub 14 sec and running a standard injection system with no missifre problems or fuel starvation yes it has a fuel return to the tank and is used every other day a his normal car going down the slave pump to prime and then hi pressure will lead to more problems in the event of an accident as both will need to be on the inertia switch circut as if one fails more time is needed to check which has failed so me personal i would stick with the one pump approach

seems a lot of ideas and quite a bit of confusion i recently fitted a 3.9 hot wire system to a ford pop dragster and used a hi pressure pump which was a facet red top pump which has been poo poo'd as not man enough well thats odd a the car in question went do the pod strip witha sub 14 sec and running a standard injection system with no missifre problems or fuel starvation yes it has a fuel return to the tank and is used every other day a his normal car going down the slave pump to prime and then hi pressure will lead to more problems in the event of an accident as both will need to be on the inertia switch circut as if one fails more time is needed to check which has failed so me personal i would stick with the one pump approach

So facet make a high-pressure red top now, fair enough that should indeed work - but saying "use a facet red top" is misleading as the majority that turn up are low-pressure carb type ones, they flow enough as a feed pump (it's what I'm using on the 4.6 in fact) but do not provide enough pressure for an EFI setup.

Both my fuel pumps are on relays controlled by the ECU rather than an inertia switch, if the engine stops turning the ECU turns the pumps off after 2 secs. I don't see correct fuel pump wiring as "more problems", being really rough about it you could run both pumps from the same relay.

Oh and have you tried punctuation and paragraphs? I hear they make it easier to read things and understand what the flip you're on about :ph34r:

Simmer down lads, :P:P Thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to take the top off the defender tank in the morning but i'm sure its only the fuel gauge actuator arm thats in there and not a pump. The engine i took out had a mechanical pump. I will see if there is any way i can fit the rangie pump on it safely.

I've had a look at the ebay defender pump and think its bloody expensive..£60.00 yea but a ton..come on.Unless i'm being tight and this is the right price..

I think i've got a good idea whats required now but the accident cut off thing bothers me. How do i sort this out..has the rangie ECU already got this sorted or do i have to fit something else to cut the pumps in a crash. If the ECU does it hows it all wired to the pumps.

You'll be fed up with me soon i'm sure :rolleyes:

So facet make a high-pressure red top now, fair enough that should indeed work - but saying "use a facet red top" is misleading as the majority that turn up are low-pressure carb type ones, they flow enough as a feed pump (it's what I'm using on the 4.6 in fact) but do not provide enough pressure for an EFI setup.

Both my fuel pumps are on relays controlled by the ECU rather than an inertia switch, if the engine stops turning the ECU turns the pumps off after 2 secs. I don't see correct fuel pump wiring as "more problems", being really rough about it you could run both pumps from the same relay.

Oh and have you tried punctuation and paragraphs? I hear they make it easier to read things and understand what the flip you're on about :ph34r:

you still need to have an interia switch in the system in the event of a collision or you roll and the engine keeps running you being mr smart arse are going to be able to switch of the iginition when you are knocked out? didn't think so! and this is why the car industry fits them or now has them linked into the srs ecu(air bag system)

so a little bit i should have added to my original post please bear with me as i am dyslexic and spelling and typing and sentence structure are not my strong points sorry but i feel that digs in this way are somtimes uncalled for and that it is either a dig for not telling or a dig for telling so now i wait untill moaned at

Simmer down lads, :P:P Thanks for all the good advice. I'm going to take the top off the defender tank in the morning but i'm sure its only the fuel gauge actuator arm thats in there and not a pump. The engine i took out had a mechanical pump. I will see if there is any way i can fit the rangie pump on it safely.

I've had a look at the ebay defender pump and think its bloody expensive..£60.00 yea but a ton..come on.Unless i'm being tight and this is the right price..

I think i've got a good idea whats required now but the accident cut off thing bothers me. How do i sort this out..has the rangie ECU already got this sorted or do i have to fit something else to cut the pumps in a crash. If the ECU does it hows it all wired to the pumps.

You'll be fed up with me soon i'm sure :rolleyes:

you can get an interia switch from a land rover dealer or a breaker and connect it into the earth circut of the fuel pump then in the event of an accident it will kill the earth and the pump will stop simple